Moped Riders Association Forum Index Moped Riders Association
Official Online Home of the IAAMR
  International Association for the Advancement of Moped Riders
  FAQFAQ    RulesRules    SearchSearch    LinksLinks   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    MemberlistMemberlist    Private MessagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  Moped ForumsMoped Forums  Moped RepairMoped Repair  MRA StoreMRA Store  CalendarCalendar   

Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Scooter Riders
Go to Bottom   View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveRonan118
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

Hey, my name is Steve Ronan and I am a 19 year old rider in Michigan (Grand Rapids - East Lansing) I have been riding my scooter since October 2007.

I was riding my scooter (Chinese Tank) to work today and part way through the ride at a red light I discovered it was stuck on full throttle. I had to grip on both brakes to keep myself from taking off through the intersection. I am sorry to jump on the forum so quickly without a proper introduction, but I think I need some help.

What can I do or check to try to get my throttle to do anything other than pull at full. The throttle handle itself will move around, (I can twist it all the way up and back) but the engine is still stuck at max. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Steve
Tab
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

Well, the only way to fix it is to get at the carburetor and remove it to check where the binding is happening.
tortoise
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

Download the 50cc shop manual from this link, and review chapter 5. Determine if the cable is moving freely, and that the carb throttle valve return spring is working properly. Initially look through the access door in the bottom of the under-seat compartment . . but removal of the tub and additional panels may be required to correct the problem.
http://www.scootdawg.com/page3

Replacement parts resource . .
http://www.partsforscooters.com/Vehicle-Type/Carburetor_assy_qmb139
SteveRonan118
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

I checked the carb. When I loosened the nuts connecting the throttle cable to the carb, the carb was able to move and rotate freely. Also, I was getting movement in the cable when I disassembled part of it near the throttle handle under the instrument panel. When pulling the throttle, there was tension and movement. But when I try to pull the throttle cable with a pair of needle nose pliers, pulling on the small exposed part from the carb's end, it would not budge.

It has happened in really cold weather (below 28 Fahrenheit) before that I was not able to start the scooter because the throttle cable froze in the closed position. I am thinking that perhaps this time it froze in the open position while I was riding. I will tell you, it is not the most joyous feeling in the world when you first realize your ride will not slow down.

Thus, I believe that the cable is just frozen somewhere between the throttle and the carb. I put the vehicle in a garage, but it is not too warm. Here in Michigan right now, it is about 20 degrees Fahrenheit where I am. Perhaps I should just replace the whole cable, (using the good advice of my Haynes Scooter Manual I have in my dorm) and hopefully avoid future freezings like this. I will be going to get the bike later tonight, so I will let you know if warming it up gives any results. Thanks for the help, and no I will not stop riding in the freezing cold, so long as my bike still runs.

Steve Ronan
Tank Urban Sporty - 50cc.
pehuskey
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

Try taking the cable off and pouring oil down it. It should keep it from freezing.
GIJoeBob
Net Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

Even though EVERY owners manual tells you to do it on a regular basis, NO ONE ever lubes their cables.

Do it.

http://dratv.com/cablelubertool.html

maddog
Net Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

While some people lube their brake cables the real problem is the brake cam needs grease, also the speedo cable inside the brake hub must be packed with grease every yr. now you know why they snap, hint- the speedo dial will flutter before it snaps.
xrongor
Net Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

imho those cable lube thingies are a ripoff. ive been conned into 2-3 different ones over the years (including the one linked to above), watched 'pro's' use them (usually wasting half a can of lube in the process onto the ground) and they simply dont work. if anyone has evidence to the contrary (i.e link to some video) id love to see one actually work as advertised with the lube flowing freely through the cable out the other end, and not making a giant mess.

baggies, duct tape, and plain old motor oil for me. a little powdered lock graphite mixed in the oil wont hurt either. cables should have virtually zero resistance when lubed. if there is still some, likely some strands are broken inside the sheath and you should probably replace the cable.

but maddog has it right. the cables are only one of the things you need to keep lubed for it all to work properly.

randy

GIJoeBob
Net Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

I have the one above and it works for me. It may not be perfect but it loads up the cable with lube easy enough. It's the only option I have until they start making cables with grease fittings.
John
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

I have cables on my "74 Casal that have covered ports where you add the lube without having to remove from either end to induce graphited oil. Stock item back then.

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
GIJoeBob
Net Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: re: Stuck on Full Throttle - QT50 Reply with quote

John wrote:
I have cables on my "74 Casal that have covered ports where you add the lube without having to remove from either end to induce graphited oil. Stock item back then.

Must be nice. I wonder if I can order cables like that for my Hondas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Scooter Riders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: