99 tomos targa wiring help?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: JD, John, ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped

99 tomos targa wiring help?

Postby MgsissonVT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:28 pm

I just got a 99 targa off a guy who thought he was a wiring genius... Not so. He pretty much pulled everything off and couldn't fix it. I am doing away with the annoying turn signals, and the stock headlight. I am going to put a 12v rounded headlight in. I really want to run a wire to the headlight, a wire to the tailight, and leave the on/off switch, everything else can go. Any idea's on how to do this, or any help with the re-wiring.
Thanks,
- Virginia Tech Moped Gang
MgsissonVT
Net Rider

re: 99 tomos targa wiring help?

Postby Tab » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Is the wiring hacked up? I would just order a new harness for it if it is. But, what about your brake light and brake light switches? Does your state require a horn?
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Tomos wiring harness in the buy and sell right now.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby MgsissonVT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:18 pm

VA doesn't require a horn, all I have to have is headlight, tail-light, as far as I Know. no registration or insurance. The wiring isn't hacked up, its all there. I just don't know what goes to where.
Thanks,
MgsissonVT
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 pm

You still need to keep the brake light system intact and functional...for your own health!
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby MgsissonVT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 pm

I will if it doesn't make things to complicated, all of my other peds are straight wired to the back light, it just always stays on. People in Blacksburg, VA are pretty used to us by now. We get respect on the roads luckily. I might try to sell this after I get it running, so I may do it for them.

Still looking for any info or pictures on the wiring for a 99 tomos targa step thru.
Thanks,
MgsissonVT
Net Rider

Postby JD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:38 am

There are wiring diagrams in the "Moped Repair" section of this site. I doubt there is a whole lot of difference between the 1999 wiring harness and the more recent ones.

I don't think turn signals are annoying to most riders. They provide added visibility and credibility. If you've already got them, I don't understand why you'd be "doing away" with them, especially if you're planning on selling the bike, anyway.

The headlight, on the other hand, could probably stand replacing. If it's anything like the one on my 2004 bikes, it's useless.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby MgsissonVT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:12 am

I will check out the manual i know they can be tricky to follow. On this bike for some reason the turn signals/headlight/speedo were all one unit. I'm sure I could break the turn signals off, or remove them but then they would have to be jerry rigged to the frame. I will most likely leave the rear ones on because they look decent. Annoying is because we have 30-40 mopeds in two sheds, and if they have the signals on them then this ped takes up two spaces.
Thanks,
MgsissonVT
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders