Goodies for my PA50...

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John, ItsLookingUp, pehuskey

Goodies for my PA50...

Postby kex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:11 am

I just got in some new parts for my PA 50. A DR cylinder, proma circuit exhaust, and a new variator plate and weight set. Check out the ports in the cylinder wall!

The cylinder/piston look really clean. I'll probably go over them with some emery paper, and that's it. I don't see any flash or dirty cuts.
Attachments
Jun14_0001.jpg
Jun14_0001.jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Jun14_0002.jpg
Jun14_0002.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Jun14_0003.jpg
Jun14_0003.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Keith Wallace
----------------
1982 honda urban express (nu50)-65cc metra kit, proma low boy exhaust
kex
Regional Rider

re: Goodies for my PA50...

Postby Smitty » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:34 am

WOW!!! Very nice!!! Keep us posted on the build!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Re: Goodies for my PA50...

Postby lalunette » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:57 pm

kex wrote:I just got in some new parts for my PA 50.

The parts look awesome!!

Tell me, did they come from 50cc.nl ??
Richard V. Loiselle
aka Lalunette

You can go far with a smile but you can go even farther with a moped (or a scooter) and a smile...

Blij dat ik rij...
lalunette
Net Rider

Postby kex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:09 pm

Yeah, they came from 50cc.nl. Marcel rocks with the stuff you cant' get in the U.S.
Keith Wallace
----------------
kex
Regional Rider

Re: re: Goodies for my PA50...

Postby lalunette » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:08 pm

kex wrote:Yeah, they came from 50cc.nl. Marcel rocks with the stuff you cant' get in the U.S.

Know what tipped me off? The word "uitlaat" which means "exhaust" in Dutch. I learnt to speak/read/write that language when I lived in the Netherlands as an exchange student.

I've bought stuff from 50cc.nl before and they are a pleasure to deal with.

Know what's even cooler? I used to live accross the river and 20 minutes upstream from Tiel, which is the town where 50cc.nl is located.

Did they include 50cc.nl stickers in the package they sent you?

Cheers !!
Richard V. Loiselle
aka Lalunette

You can go far with a smile but you can go even farther with a moped (or a scooter) and a smile...

Blij dat ik rij...
lalunette
Net Rider

Postby kex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:52 pm

no 50cc stickers, just the tape on the box! My kit came with a DR Racing sticker, and the exhaust has a proma sticker, too.
Keith Wallace
----------------
kex
Regional Rider

Postby WillyT-NU50 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:07 pm

I got the same DR 70cc kit for my Honda NU50. I'm waiting on some jets to come in. Also, I might need to get a machinist to make a thicker head gasket because the piston might be hitting the head. I hope to be up and running this week end to start/finish the break-in. Good luck man.

WillyT
WillyT-NU50
Net Rider

Postby kex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:31 pm

I'll take some pictures as I put her together, hopefully this weekend if the weather cooperates.

I also picked up these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4620310007&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSAA%3AUS%3A11

To replace all the case and outer fastners, and I got new studs and bearings from partsfish.

I hope to completely strip and paint this bike in a couple of weeks. Hopefully before Ike's ride! If not, at least I'll have it running and broken in. I'd like to do it in something like this:
A nice metallic orange. That's from the 1978 bmw paint.
Keith Wallace
----------------
kex
Regional Rider

Re: Goodies for my PA50...

Postby -=JFK=- » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:06 am

kex wrote:I just got in some new parts for my PA 50. A DR cylinder, proma circuit exhaust, and a new variator plate and weight set. Check out the ports in the cylinder wall!

The cylinder/piston look really clean. I'll probably go over them with some emery paper, and that's it. I don't see any flash or dirty cuts.

Could you please list the part number for those (the corresponding ones on 50cc.nl)? I am looking to get the same parts. I found the proma exhaust on the site, but not the variator plate and weight set.

How much did it all cost you (including shipping)?

Thanks,
-=JFK=-
-=JFK=-
Net Rider

Postby tattoome5150 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 am

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Have you tried to fit the exhaust yet? I know there are obvious differences between the NU50 and the NC50, but the proma didn't fit the NC50 mainly because there just wasn't any room between the rear tire and the engine. Unlike the PA50 were the engine is placed in the middle of the moped, the NU50 and NC50 are mounted in the rear making it hard to fit that exhaust.
Let me know if it fits and if you needed to do any mods to make it fit.

Also, 50cc sells that variator kit for the Camino (aka PA50). But as you can easily tell by the ramp plate and weights are meant for 6 weights. The Camino only has 3 weights. That variator kit is perfect for the NU50, but will not work on the PA50. 50cc claims its for the PA50, but its obviously not.
Is is possible to take the variator plate with 6 weights from an NU50 and put in on a Camino?
Can anybody help verify the inner diameter and width of the variator plate on the NU50?

Thank you.

~Ben~
tattoome5150
Net Rider

Postby kex » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Finished!

My camera was dead, so I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Both the cylinder and the exhaust went on with no problems. The hardest part of the install was breaking the seal on the original cylinder, and then removing the gasket gunk!

The exhaust was rusted to the cylinder, so I detached the cylinder and exhaust together. I'm going to cut open the exhaust, it feels like it weighs about 5-7 lbs, it's got to be packed with carbon. There was some light carbon buildup on the piston, not too bad.

Started right up with no problems, and after adjusting the idle, it ran around the block a few times with no problems. It pulls hard from takeoff, which is what I want- I think it'll be right around 40-42 when I'm done. I can always change roller wieghts to adjust the powerband after break-in, to see what works best.

Tomorrow I'll try to fine tune it, and check the jetting and the plug.

I'm running an 80 jet in the stock carb (stock is either 76-78), and an NGK 5 plug, I may switch to a colder plug, we'll see.
Keith Wallace
----------------
kex
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders