Moped Riders Association Forum Index Moped Riders Association
Official Online Home of the IAAMR
  International Association for the Advancement of Moped Riders
  FAQFAQ    RulesRules    SearchSearch    LinksLinks   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    MemberlistMemberlist    Private MessagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  Moped ForumsMoped Forums  Moped RepairMoped Repair  MRA StoreMRA Store  CalendarCalendar   

QT50 or QT60 mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders
Go to Bottom   View previous topic :: View next topic  
xrongor
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

it was just some plain ole penzoil type F.

and i agree. its hard to tell if any differences were real or imagined since i went from used oil to atf. then from burned atf to oil again. i think the only way to really test it would be to run fresh 10/30 for say 30 miles, then swap it for ATF (filling it, then draining it, then refilling it again to remove as much oil as possible for a fair test) and compare them both on the same day.

ive thought about using the amsoil atf. post back after you've ran it a while. if it lasts longer i might give it a whirl. i seem to change the 10/30 whenever i change the plug (4-500 miles or so)

randy
82QT50
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Got a few questions for you qt50 experts :)

Whats a safe amount you can mill the head of the stock engine to increase the compression?

If I got the plate that takes advantage of the ports, it reads here that I would need a better pipe then stock. Where can I find this?

Would doing any of these reduce the life-span and/or reliability of the moped?

Thanks!
xrongor
Net Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

the 60cc upgrade i described earlier is cheap and works extremely well. since they built the YT60's around it i dont see how it will lower the lifespan noticibly either. and even if it does new engines are cheap too. which is why i know nothing about porting and all that for a QT50. so unless you just want to do it to experament or some other specific reason, i would recommend against it.

but thats my 2 cents.

randy
lars91
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Hi, I also have a 1984 QT50 that runs good but will not go over 25 MPH with the similar symptoms mentioned here. I am going to try the general upgrades posted here and see what happens. I assume you guys are drilling the airbox on the rear half of the cover and not the front? 3-4 1/4'' holes?

Larry
pete in pa
Net Rider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Just did a total at Motogrid, $210 for the 60 hop up. must resist temptation.
Aceface
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

MLM (Motion Left Mopeds) just came out with an awesome expansion chamber for the qt. bolts right up. badass side-bleed, best on the market. also, pw rear gears dude
pete in pa
Net Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

I thought I'd post where I'm at and my plans for the future. I'm at 700 ft. elevation.
1981 QT50: 2.25 Kenda tires ft and rear.
70 main jet, needle in highest position. large holes in air box.
Oil injector removed running 50 to 1 Amsoil
stock muffler with rear tip cut off and hole drilled larger.

bike does 30 mph on the flats, downhill factory speedo needle points almost straight down. I'm 6' 2" and 300 lbs.

I'll see tomorow what I get back for taxes, plan to do the 60cc upgrade. Wish the 80cc bolted right up.

Last edited by pete in pa on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pete in pa
Net Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Well I've got the 60 stuff on the way! In the mean time I took off the top end and was surprised to see blowby (black streaks below the rings) on the piston.

This is on an 81 with 2300 miles. It was running fine with good power, does this mean it was never broke in correctly?

For the 60 I'm going to use NON syn oil at 50 to 1 and I'm not going to abuse it, but I'm not going to baby it either. I will break those rings in!

pete in pa
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Well the UPS guy came at 6:30 tonight and by 8 it was running. In the process of breaking it in but even with that I can feel the power! 1/4 throttle picks the speed up like full used to.

I'm running 50 to 1 dino oil and will switch back to Amsoil synthetic after break-in.

I've got an 80 jet in there, once broke in I'll see if it needs lowered. BP6HS Plug is more black than brown. Rather have it too rich than lean and risk a seize.

pete in pa
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: re: QT50 or QT60 mods Reply with quote

Just did the PW ring and pinion gears. Big improvement! Now cruises at 35-40 on level ground and I've had the factory speedo needle pointing PAST straight down (6 o'clock) downhill. I'm geussing 50+ mph!

Still only at 50 miles on new 60cc upgrade, so it's still improving. Performance keeps going up.

Thinking about stiffer clutch springs since the point of full clutch engagement is now 15 mph.

Now total list of mods: 60CC upgrade, PW50 gears, air filter housing lots of big holes, 75 main jet, 50 to 1 premix, 2.25 kenda tires front and rear, what's next?

Last edited by pete in pa on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: