how to keep your QT50 side covers

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

how to keep your QT50 side covers

Postby xrongor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:36 am

You rarely see QT50's that still have the side covers on them. They just fall off too easy. But there is a simple solution. I forget the name of these things but you can get them at the hardware store. For the purpose of this discussion ill simply call them rivets.

Put your covers on and work them around a bit so they are not cocked and sit comfortably on the airbox. Drill a hole the same size as the rivets through the airbox and side cover, and voila.

below are pictures of the rivets and you can see the installed look. about a dollars worth of plastic rivets to save your side covers. I ride on dirt and gravel roads all the time and havent lost one yet.

i suspect there are other parts on other bikes that could benefit from such a simple fix

randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xrongor
Net Rider

re: how to keep your QT50 side covers

Postby xrongor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:57 pm

yeah but you dont get the nice finished black dot look or toolless removal <g> you really couldnt bolt it anyway. best you could do is a self taping screw which i think would be worse for wear problems than this.

you might want to replace them every so often but ive had my covers on and off several times and dont see any signs they are going to fail soon. i bought 5 when i bought them so i got 3 spares in the tool bag.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders