Moped Riders Association Forum Index Moped Riders Association
Official Online Home of the IAAMR
  International Association for the Advancement of Moped Riders
  FAQFAQ    RulesRules    SearchSearch    LinksLinks   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    MemberlistMemberlist    Private MessagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  Moped ForumsMoped Forums  Moped RepairMoped Repair  MRA StoreMRA Store  CalendarCalendar   

Tomos identification
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders
Go to Bottom   View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just bought my daughter a tomos moped, 2000 model and from looking at pictures online I believe it to be a targa lx. The problem is that the targa lx is not approved in the state of ohio as a moped. I've been reading here and see where people have been able to positively identify tomos mopeds by the vin and wondered if someone could help me positively identify this moped. If it is truly a targa lx I guess I will have to tell the dmv it is something else to get plates on it. The vin is zz1a6212xyk026636. Thanks in advance guys.
xrongor
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

its legal, or its not, and your local dmv can tell you which it is. hiding it from them to be identified by an anonymous person over the internet, vs simply showing it to them and asking them, will not change a thing.

if you plan to lie, why bother to positively identify the bike in the first place. if your plan is to play dumb, remain dumb. then your lies might even be convincing.

randy

ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

I need parts for it which is why I want to positively identify it, as far as the dmv...they have no Idea what it is (tried them first) but gave me a list of approved tomos models and said if it is one of these it is fine.
tomos03

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Pick a ped that is on the list that is closes to what you have. Ohio has not updated their list for years. My streetmates are not on the list but I got it through this way. They do not check your ped they just want your money.
xrongor
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

well if you need parts thats another issue...

randy

ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Well I guess I'll wait and see if someone knows how to identify it by the vin.
pehuskey
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Someone could tell you if you had a pic of it.
TowerTower
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

VIN position 5&6 is the model number in TOMOS 1980 models and newer:
42 = A3N Sprint
46 = A35 Targa TT LX
56 = A35 Sprint TT
43 = A3N Sprint w/kickstart kit.
47 = A35 Targa
78 = Arrow
44 = A35 Targa
48 = A35 Targa TT LX w/kickstart kit.
45 = A35 Targa
49 = A35 Targa

Since "62" is not on my list, I can't be certain, but it's probably not a Targa LX

Perhaps someone with a 2000 Targa LX can check their position 5&6 and post here?

Last edited by TowerTower on Mon May 12, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
JD
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

The key issue in Ohio is going to be whether or not it's got pedals. If pedals, OK. If not, then it's a motorcycle, in which case it would be best to sell it and find one with pedals.

jd

ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

It has pedals, when we got it there was a gold targa sticker on the tank. Ohio law says it can not go over 20 mph on flat land.

ped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.06 KB
 Viewed:  4246 Time(s)

ped.jpg

ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

It says A35 50 above the vin and the engine says A5. The "dash" area has been rigged up and has a tach. Ohio says 20 mph max on flat ground and I had it doing 35 easy although it kept leaning out on me (missing one intake bolt and spraying ether around the intake plate changed the revs so I'm sure it's sucking air there, I'm not running it again until I fix that). It starts by pedaling backwards.

Last edited by ZX9RBART on Mon May 12, 2008 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Houdini

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Notice how on one side the plastic says A3-SL? That's an approved moped. Tell them it's an A3-SL, it says so right on your ped after all.
ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Houdini wrote:
Notice how on one side the plastic says A3-SL? That's an approved moped. Tell them it's an A3-SL, it says so right on your ped after all.

Where does it say that? some of the plastic side covers are missing.
Houdini

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Should say it toward the back by the rear wheel. I'll try to find a picture for you. It's a sticker on the plastic, if I rememeber right.
ZX9RBART
Net Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Tomos identification Reply with quote

Houdini wrote:
Should say it toward the back by the rear wheel. I'll try to find a picture for you. It's a sticker on the plastic, if I rememeber right.

So is it a targa lx with an official designation of A3SL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: