Moped Riders Association Forum Index Moped Riders Association
Official Online Home of the IAAMR
  International Association for the Advancement of Moped Riders
  FAQFAQ    RulesRules    SearchSearch    LinksLinks   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    MemberlistMemberlist    Private MessagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  Moped ForumsMoped Forums  Moped RepairMoped Repair  MRA StoreMRA Store  CalendarCalendar   

Four Corners of Connecticut Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders
Go to Bottom   View previous topic :: View next topic  
moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Well I've had this bug in my bonnet long enough!! I have next week off so Bunny (2008 Tomos LX) and I are going to do it. 345 miles in about 3 days is what I'm planning on. I'm really getting excited.

Moe

Last edited by moebobbie on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mopedlar
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Will there be a chase vehicle? Best of luck to you!
moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

hehehe...No. I will have triple-Bobbie on call though..hehehehe
JD
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

What's your route, Moe?
moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Hi JD,
Too many roads to mention but starting from my house in East Windsor and the four corners are North Grosvenor Dale in the northeast then down rte 12 and over to North Stonington in the southeast. Then rte 156 west along the shore. I have to make a 25 mile jog up to Norwich to cross the Thames River then back down 32 to the shore again. Then I head up to Hadlyme to cross the CT River and scoot across rte 80 to New Haven and catch rte 1 to Bridgeport the southwestern corner. Then up 58 towards Danbury and following 37 to rte 7 on up to Canaan, the northwest corner. I then catch 44 to Winsted and rte 20 then home.
I'm sure I'll be making adjustments to the route as I go but that's the basic plan.

Moe

JD
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

That's an awesome sounding trip, Moe.

Were you aware that there's a pedestrian/bicycle path on southbound I-95 on the Gold Star Memorial Bridge across the Thames River? You could avoid the detour to Norwich.

The I-95 Baldwin Bridge across the Connecticut river has a bike path as well (no detour to Hadlyme, either.)

You'd might have to walk your moped on the bridges since motorized vehicles are probably prohibited on the bike paths (assuming there's anyone to even notice one way or the other), but you'd save a hell of a lot of mileage running detours around the bridges.

I've found that I can learn a lot about where to ride a moped or scooter by checking bicycle resources.

Good luck!

jd

moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Yup JD...I know of both of those. As you said, it prohibited to ride across them. There probably wouldn't be anyone to complain but I don't roll that way. Both of the detours I mentioned are very nice rides and I'm not really looking to save the miles...just gonna enjoy the scenery.
I'm really excited. Moe

mopedlar
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

I am so jealous. I'd love to do a moped ride like that, but I don't have that much confidence in any of my stock mopeds. Most of them have several thousand miles and points ignition systems which can act up in a moments notice. If I had to pick a bike to take on such a long ride, I'd go with my Tomos LX. The CDI ignition has never failed me.

Like I said, best of luck on your endeavor. I have no doubt you will finish with flying colors.

moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Thanks Lar...Any of your newer mounts would be perfect for this kind of ride. The fact that Kim rides too would make a bike vacation a total joy. Just sit down with a map and a highlighter and before you know it you've got a vacation.
Hmmmm...4 corners of NJ????? hehehehe

Moe

JD
Master Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I think the "Four Corners of Michigan" could be a bit much for us right now. Even eliminating the Upper Peninsula, we'd be talking a route of well over 1,000 miles, and a good portion of it wouldn't really be worth seeing. LOL!

HOWEVER, this past weekend Lisalou and I made a 425 mile, three-day ride from here (outside Detroit) to Grand Rapids (home to some of the best brewpubs in the midwest), Hickory Corners (home of the wonderful Gilmore Car Museum), Kalamazoo (home to possibly the BEST brewery in Michigan, Bell's Brewing), and back home. It was a fabulous ride, and we saw parts of the state that were quite new to us, including beautiful farmland in the mid-section.

If I erred in my navigation plans at all, it might have been to focus too much on scenery and not enough on efficiency. Instead of taking the standard two-line state highways, we spent a lot of time on the county roads which, while scenic, tended to be a little rough and added extra miles. If I were to do this again, I'd stir in a few more state highways and a fewer farm roads. Our final day, which covered about 200 miles, was pretty exhausting. The toughest part, unfortunately, was the last 45 minutes, as we neared the city and had to deal with heavier traffic and congestion to get home.

Of course, we were riding the 125 cc Buddys, not mopeds.

I'd do it again in a second. 'Twas glorious!

jd

moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

EXCELLENT JD and Lisa!!! That sounds like a wonderful trip. Would love to see the pictures.

Moe

moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

I know some of you are on my e-mail distribution and we are so few here so I'm posting a link to the Moped Army thread about my trip. It WAS SOOO AWESOME!

Moe

http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3438672

wardie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

Damnit Moe next time you go off and want to do something foolhardy like ride a couple hundred miles on a moped will you please call me ..Slug-o and I would like to tag along!

Nice pics, good write and 48 mph WOW that's one for the books. Wardie
moebobbie
Regional Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: re: Four Corners of Connecticut Tour Reply with quote

hehehehe....you're welcome along anytime Wardie!

Moe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moped Riders Association Forum Index -> Moped Riders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: