South Carolina Moped Laws

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: John, ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD

South Carolina Moped Laws

Postby nedok » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 am

I recently bought my first moped over the internet, it's a brand new Chinese model that I found for pretty cheap and I've been looking online for the moped laws in my state and couldn't find anything about whether or not it's required to be registered. It's a 49cc motor so it doesn't fit the category for a motorcycle and I already have a regular drivers license. I'm aware that I don't need to get insurance for it or even a drivers license but thats all I could find. Anyone here from SC?
nedok
Net Rider

re: South Carolina Moped Laws

Postby Smitty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:43 am

Registration is not required in S.C.

That said, if the Moped (or Scooter) does not have pedals, I highly recommend having a Moped tag on the bike. Moped tags can usually be purchased from Moped repair shops, Moped / Scooter rental shops, etc. The latter will sometimes give you one for free, as they are normally advertising for them ;o)

Also, it's a really good idea to carry a copy of the SCDMV handbook, especially the section covering Mopeds, with you at all times, in the event you are stopped by an officer who is unclear on South Carolina's Moped Laws.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby steamboat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 pm

I found this about SC moped laws. Hope this helps. Jim

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... ws&spell=1
I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby jswift » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Gotta second that. If it doesn't have pedals and doesn't look like a moped, the odds of being stopped for "where is your tag" go way up. look like a duck quack like a duck. (that's my new moped meme) And you don't wanna be stopped. Cuz once you are, that's a legal excuse to ticket you/jail you/fine you/taze you, etc. If China would put pedals on the scoots, I might buy one.
--"After a fell day in the saddle, there is not too much numb bum from the soft comfort seat" www.scooterdepot.us/50cc-Gas-Moped-Scooter-p-436.html"
jswift
Net Rider

Postby ryoder » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm actually living in SC at the moment. I go to college down here. Just arrived this past Saturday. Sadly, I didn't bring my Tomos :( I've been gone for not even a week and I miss my Tomos terribly. :( Believe me, I'm not homesick or anything, I just miss the Tomos hah.

Anyways, the other day I was out and saw a scooter going in the 45-50mph range with a fast take off on the line, my guess is it was at least 125cc maybe even 150cc. It had what looked like a paper sticker on the back that said "MOPED" I was with another guy, neither of us are originally from SC, and we both thought it's a custom plate, but just a temporary tag or something. Well it makes sense to me now that mopeds just have little paper tags signifying they are mopeds and are not license plated. But that little guy was zippy and in no way should be considered a moped, and definitely did not have pedals on the thing. I'm pretty sure it was one of the Chinese models, because we got up along side of it so I could check it out.
"It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike, than to go slow on a fast bike."
ryoder
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 am

... and THAT's the thing that pisses me off about some SC dealers!!! So many are selling 150cc Scooters as "Mopeds", not caring that they are taking a huge risk for the rest of us by prompting SC to more closely scrutinize Moped classed Scooters much more closely.

This is why I very much prefer to have pedals on my 'peds, because I have been pulled-over for speeding on a Moped (imagine that, me, going too fast on a Moped, LOL!!!), and the presence of pedals has saved my hide and prevented me from getting a ticket on more than one occasion.

I personally have no problem at all with 50cc class Scooters falling under the Moped laws, and of course "kitted" Mopeds are ok to me (under 100cc's) as long as they were originally 50cc from the factory. As long as there is no manual shifting, fully automatic transmission only, and 50cc class, then I have no issues with them being termed "Moped". However, I know that SC Law Enforcement has a problem with factory 100cc + (and manual transmission types as well) machines being sold under the pretense of being a Moped. There are also those who try to pass pocketbikes and go-peds off as Mopeds, and this too causes a stir over SC's Moped laws as well.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby ryoder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Well my personal opinion is anything out on the road that has a motor needs to be licensed properly and needs to be displaying a license plate. This should catch any attempts to ride pocket bikes out on the road, since the bmv will need manufacturer, model, VIN. As far as the moped debate, my opinion is anything over 50cc needs to be registered as a motorcycle (and needing a motorcycle license and insurance). If it's 50cc or less, drivers license should be required but not insurance regardless of whether it's a scooter or a moped or a mix or a bicycle with a motor. But I do believe they should require plates.

But I guess I don't make the rules :-)

I mean I think the idea of just picking up a moped and go and not needing to register it is great idea, however people will abuse such a lax law. And that's where the problems begin.
"It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike, than to go slow on a fast bike."
ryoder
Net Rider

Postby jswift » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Unless you are North Carolina, the only state that is free. No DL required for a moped. Unless Turrrorists have changed that as well.
--"After a fell day in the saddle, there is not too much numb bum from the soft comfort seat" www.scooterdepot.us/50cc-Gas-Moped-Scooter-p-436.html"
jswift
Net Rider

Re: re: South Carolina Moped Laws

Postby steamboat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:58 pm

jswift wrote:Unless you are North Carolina, the only state that is free. No DL required for a moped. Unless Turrrorists have changed that as well.

Va. is free. I think Montana is also free. Jim
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby jswift » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

so why do so many farkers hate VA?

Is it like Georgia, two states? Atlanta, and Georgia? I don't hate VA but you tend to believe what you read over time.
jswift
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Virginia is for lovers. Jim
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby steamboat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Some info. Jim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_is_for_Lovers

Virginia is for Lovers is the tourism and travel slogan of the state of Virginia. Used since 1969, it has become a well recognized and often imitated part of American jargon.

The first year that the slogan was introduced, travelers spent $800 million in Virginia. By 2004, that number had increased to more than $14 billion, making Virginia the tenth most popular tourist destination of the fifty states

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Lovers.jpg
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Return to Moped Riders