E50 clutch adjustment

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

E50 clutch adjustment

Postby skills@eurocarsplus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:54 pm

so, if my memory serves me correctly, i would want to unscrew the adjustment screws to get a better take off, correct? also, who has done what as far as clutch adjustment, i.e. how many turns yielded what result. just looking fo a bit better take off. thanks for the input!
look honey...another money pit
skills@eurocarsplus
Net Rider

re: E50 clutch adjustment

Postby Smitty » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Actually, if you loosen the screws, the clutch will engage earlier ... tightening the screws will require (or allow) the engine to rev higher before the clutch engages. If the clutch engages at lower RPM's, then pull-off will be slower, whereas if the engine revs higher before the clutch engages, take-off will be better. I hope this helps(?).
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby skills@eurocarsplus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 pm

that makes sense. i read somewhere if you adjust one a bit'loose' and the other a bit 'tight' it would act like a '2 speed' or '3 speed' (if you have the 3 show clutch) but to me, it sounds as if the clutch drum or clutch itself would take a huge beating. any thoughts on that?

what you said makes good sense, gets the engine spinning to a point where it will start to make some power
look honey...another money pit
skills@eurocarsplus
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm running a 3-shoe, and installed it as set from the factory ... and the way it is adjusted does make my E50 feel like a 2-speed the way the engagement seems to be staggered. I've not yet inspected it, and currently probably have between 500 and 1,000 miles on the engine. All still seems fine with it.
The true test is going to be when I install the HPI ignition system, because I've read numerous times that the HPI system is a real clutch destroyer :^/
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby butnut » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:27 am

hehe, yep, I got the 3 shoe in my Smitty built E50 and I swear it shifts! haha, remember I told ya about that when I got the motor Smitty? I got a REAL 2 speed now, can't wait to get it running good, bruddah rigid got some tweaks to do and then, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
1977 Puch Maxi
Old school mod-aholic...nuthin' stock
butnut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Moped Riders