Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

Postby Smitty » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Well, wish me luck guys and gals, as I have 5 new TFR's on their way to me probably by the end of next week.

Everyone knows what kind of "Moped-perfectionist" I tend to be, so rest assured that no Moped will be sold by me until I would trust it to carry my wife or one of my own kids.

I apologize in advance that I will not be able to sell mine at the unbelievably low special price that some of you paid. I do realize that at one point the '03 models were shipped to your door for $399, but Dealers' cost on them is higher than that now.

Also for those who may be interested, I do plan to have at least one each of a stock-bore racer, as well as a "kitted" racer models(s) of the Kinetic TFR-USA.

Thanks again!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby mbartell » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:17 pm

I had a 93 kinetic tfr and it was OK. The seat had already fallen off, and apparently the fork had been replaced- it was a diffrent color.
Ran OK, the carb was really small, and it was very quiet.
The pedal shaft would shift back and forth because the rubber bushing was worn out and falling off.
The metal on the singarm was easy to bend, and that helped when I put the vespa variator on.

I was told that it was purchased new at Sam's wholesale club, and just ridden around in cotton fields.
mbartell

Postby Smitty » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 am

First of 5 are up and running. It seems to run and ride like the typical TFR-USA, slow off the line, and I'm guessing top-speed of about 25-27mph (I've only ridden it 1.5 miles, at 20mph).
Yep, typical, normal, average Moped...but hey, it IS a Moped, hehehe ;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Sebulba » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:22 am

They look nice. I will be glad when you work your magic on one of them though, because I already see lots of things that the famous Smitty could improve lots on the kinetic moped. If you build one of those engines that you showed me, like the one you hope to build for the vespa grande, it will be a rocket on two wheels!! to go from a 10 milimeter carburetor to a 28mm one would be the creation of a monster-moped!!
"a Dug, an especially dangerous Dug, named Sebubla".
Sebulba is going to win me thinks, he always wins!
Sebulba
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:11 am

I actually do plan to build at least one TFR-racer...I don't know if it'll be the big monster engine or not, as I've still not received that experimental engine yet. I do have a used TFR that I plan to tear-down and do some porting on, and probably have it as a "Stock-Modified" class racer. I hope they'll be at least a dozen of us here willing to run in "Stock-Modified" next racing season.

The Kinetic TFR-USA claims 150 MPG!!! Now I've not personally comfirmed that yet, but man, I thought I was doing good at 100mpg!!!

;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:32 am

So far, the two that I have assembled have given absolutely no problems.

I did clean the carb, and used locktite on some of the fasteners. They crank really easily, and will run up to 32mph, and also pull hills rather well.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 pm

what exactly do you guys mean when you say 'the pedal fell off'

do you mean:
'the pedal broke apart but the shaft was still there'
'the shaft broke leaving only enough to unscrew the part that went into the cranks'
'the pedal stripped out of the cranks and now i need to retap it'

or some other thing?

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 am

From what I've seen in the past, the pedals were coming out of the pedal crank arms...The ones that I hvae now have snap-rings on the back side of the threaded part of the pedal, keeping them from unscrewing from the pedal arm.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Cyberian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 pm

'the pedal broke apart but the shaft was still there'

That's what mine did.
Cyberian

Postby brentus » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:18 pm

Other than me being lazy and not buying another pedal (my job rigging it aided in its falling off) and push starting the thing, the Kinetic was good while it lasted. The cons were that you could be rolling backwards in an office chair and beat it off the line. The pros is that it runs quite quiet and mine topped out at about 31-32 mph with me at 200 pounds. Unfortunately, I do not like having to get to the carb and other parts, which I am doing now since a friend layed it down doing no more than 3mph. Something is loose from such a light impact, but that's the way it goes.
Smitty, you remember me taking it nearly out of the box for your ride in June and although it did not hang with the big dogs as much, it did play well with other Kinetics there.
For the price, I'd do it again. Can I get a $399 shipping free AMEN??
brentus
Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:33 pm

Oh now Brentus, now that was a messed-up Ride we had...the weather stunk!!

I thought your Kinetic held-up pretty good. You guys can't really compare a stock Moped to one that I've been wrenchin' on, hehehe ;^)
All of the Kinetics do seem to stay pretty close together on our Rides though...so far.

I have torn apart one of the bran new engines out of one, and am anxious to see what gains I get from my work inside of it.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:29 am

There are several design features internally that I do like. I'm impressed with the oil passages for the crank bearings, and these are about the simplest of Moped engines (IMO). I'm still working on improvements to this particular engine...the one thing that I am not impressed with is the arrangement of the transfer ports. I'm attempting to reshape portions of the transfer port passages, because I don't see much efficiency with the lower transfer path, in relation to the motion of the crankshaft, and direction of flow in the crankcase.
Over-all though, the bottom-end does look as if it could be a long lasting engine. The TFR's that I see running around here seem to be reliable as far as the mechanicals of the engine itself are concerned. They seem to be very close copies of the Vespa.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Just wanted to add a few pics to this thread...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Previous

Return to Moped Riders