another shredded kevlar belt

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: John, ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD

another shredded kevlar belt

Postby Micronaut » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:24 pm

yeah, was racing the scooter around about a week ago, pushing it to the limits.

After a 10 mile trip on the highway at about 60 mph I had no takeoff at all. I headed home and the belt let loose not far from home. It's all wound up around the variator and lots of nasty burned bits of kevlar.

the variator and clutch look good though but I don't think it would be a bad idea to get new backplate guides, rollers and give the clutch a good inspection before I get a belt.

plus having an impact driver makes it easier so I'll have to borrow one of those from my friend.

I'm sure the belt looked worn, I wish I'd opened up the case sooner.
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

re: another shredded kevlar belt

Postby Tab » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:32 pm

I thought Kevlar belts lasted forever. How long did it run for?
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby willie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 am

Yeah they claim "long life" but they do wear out.My Vino was tearing them up after about 2000 miles.They will last a little longer if you sacrifice some bottem end and use heavier roller-weights.Also be sure you are using the right clutch springs to increase life of belt.Not sure what scoot you have but on some of them that use a washer in variator as a restriction.Removal of said washer can mis-allign the belt enough to add a little extra strain.Willie
1976 Puch Maxi,1980Puch MagnumXK,2004 TomosTTLX and a couple of snails..
willie
Net Rider

Postby Micronaut » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:08 pm

the guys in the super 9 forum say they swap it every season,

I'd say yeah, I get 2-3000 miles on a belt.. depending on clutch bite and rollers...

this one had to be worn.. and that crummy shop didn't put a new one in-- same guys that made a crank seal out of liquid gasket before they burned down and didn't re-open. Jerks.

my wife's people 50 is going on 4000 miles, original rubber belt... but stock. I can hear a little roller wear.. but otherwise running like new,

if you swap it every season before long you'll have a couple decent spares and I've finally learned that it will bite you in the ass if you don't at least inspect it... and if you're in there.. might as well add new rollers...

it's a good photo though, bike cover open... looks like it's puking string... bits of crud all over
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Scooter Riders