Tomos, crank oil seal, transmission side. Replacement?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: John, ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD

Tomos, crank oil seal, transmission side. Replacement?

Postby Kevin Harrell » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 am

It looks like I need to replace the crank oil seal. Pouring out huge clouds of smoke that get less and less, probably as the oil gets burnt up and runs out. And, loss of power big time.

Can this seal be replaced by just removing the side cover and appropriate gears, or, is this a repair that requires that the case be split open? This is on a Tomos A-5 engine.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the war room.
Kevin Harrell
Regional Rider

re: Tomos, crank oil seal, transmission side. Replacement?

Postby don-ohio » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:56 am

Should be able to hook the seal from the space between the rubber lip and metal body and pull it out,once all clutch stuff is outta' there,Kevin.
If not, I'd drill a tiny hole in the face of the old seal and use a small body shop slide dent puller to pop it out.
I've got one if you need to borrow it, but you can heat(white hot) and bend the tip of a small screwdriver to form a hook to slip behind the old seal. Just don't scar the shaft. don-ohio
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby ADEPTPUNK16 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:45 pm

keep track of everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL LAING

2003 70cc Tomos Targa LX.
1976 Puch Maxi S
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MopedRacingAssociation/
ADEPTPUNK16
Net Rider

Postby Kevin Harrell » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:36 pm

Got the time to do the work on my bike, opened up the transmission and how to change the seal is quite obvious. Just take the clutches out and slide out the old oil seal. It had blown out completely enough so that it was loose there on the shaft with no prying of any sort needed.

I was amazed at how little oil was left in the transmission, maby about a tablespoon's worth.

Now all I need is a new oil seal. I did get one from Ike, but, I either asked for the wrong seal or something else happened to make the seal he sent me totally wrong. But, I sent him a new email with pictures and will expect a new seal by . . . well with the postal holiday who knows when.

Anyway, I should have the bike up and running again by next weekend (July 9 or so.)[/img]
Kevin Harrell
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:58 pm

That's kinda good news,Kevin! The seal Ike gave you might've been for the flywheel side, which is sometimes smaller.
If Ike doesn't have it right at the moment, I'm sure that 50 miles NORTH of you,BJ will have one. I'd put a little drop of epoxy glue around the cleaned seal body before installing the new one if I were you.
You goin' down Sunday and riding at ike's?
I could meet you in Waverly(from there Rt.220 to Idaho),Jasper or Idaho at 8 AM or whenever if you feel like riding that far? Just a thought.
Let me know.......I'm gonna plan on going down straight from work here. don-ohio (:^)
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:18 am

You could also use red locktite around the outer metal seal case.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Kevin Harrell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions, my bike is up and running again.

It may be time to host an impromptu ride, either before or after Ike's big ride.
Kevin Harrell
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:43 pm

Yes! It IS time,Kevin! But maybe if you waited `til after Ike's Ride, Paul H. can come up again? Just a thought.....you know Paul's been operated on,right? don-ohio (:^)
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders