Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

Postby Smitty » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:00 am

If you presently own a Kinetic TFR USA model, this is your chance to critique the Moped. Please state the "pros and cons" of the TFR, your likes / dislikes, its strong points, and weaknesses, etc. that you as a TFR owner have found.
This thread is not about the place or person you acquired the bike from, only a summary of the Moped itself.

Please tell us what you like the most about the TFR, what you would like to see improved on it, and what after-market or high-performance parts you may have found, or are looking for.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

re: Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

Postby steamboat » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 am

Hey Smitty, I bought 2 of them at the special price of $399 delivered and was was pleasently surprised at the overall quality of the bikes. They started right up and purred like a kitten. I can't ride a 2 wheeler but using my Jialing trike,I followed my brother on the TFR. He weighs about 160 so weight was not a problem but the TFR was slow off the line(1 speed) compared to my Trike (3speed, 4-stroke). His top speed was about 28/29 MPH on level ground. I consider the Tfr an entry level bike but everyone must start somewhere.I'm not sure about performance parts but there a ton of TFRs out there. I sold both bikes which was my intention when I bought them. I was so impressed I considered opening a Kinetic sales and repair shop but changed my mind when I ran the numbers on overhead costs including hired help. I think Cosmo has a good reputation and their website indicates the carry mopeds, scooters, atvs etc.
If you are considering carrying the Kinetic line, I suggest you wait until the 2-stroke pollution controversy is over.IMHO. Jim.
steamboat

Postby Antique_GZR » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:40 am

I think there are some Kinetic dealers on this site.

Rgds, GZR
Antique_GZR
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 am

Hey Gzr, I think most dealers keep an eye om MRA and MA to find out the latest trends. I would if I was in the business. Jim.
steamboat

Postby Glasseye » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 am

I spent months searching for a used moped in Seattle last year to no avail. Finally, someone offered a barely used 2003 TFR (59 miles) to me for $400. Having no moped at all, I snatched it.

When I first got the bike it was abominably slow. Maybe 28mph on flat ground, and it really sucked on all of the hills we've got around here. I quickly decided I needed to speed it up.

One 70cc kit, performance exhaust, air filter, and larger carb later and it's like I have a whole new bike. :D

The new TFR-USAs are *much* better bikes than my TFR was unmodified. They can go 30-33, and fare much better on hills.
Glasseye
Net Rider

Postby arthurx » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:31 pm

I too purchased a blue TFR for the $399 special price last year.
I was hoping we would get 10 people to buy them for a "Stock TFR" moped race. That was an idea that was mentioned at the moped racing forum on Yahoo. But we didn't get 10 people wanting to buy and race those mopeds. :(
ChrisMWH also sells them. I talk to him at the race in Ohio about the TFR but I don't remember much what he said.

My TFR has 53miles on it.
It runs very smooth and quiet.
Very easy to start after warm.
I can stand up off the seat and push it about 6 inches and it starts.
Great gas mileage! 150+mpg << I haven't yet calculated it.
Not very good for going up hills or taking off from a dead stop.

The only problem I had while riding was one of the pedals fell off.
Someone else had that problem at MA and told me how to fix it. They said buy some bicycle pedals from Walmart and screw them on. I haven't yet done this.

Also I purchased the turn-lights for the $49 special offer, locking gas cap, and large chrome rear rack. I haven't put any of that hardware on yet.

There is a web-page of a guy from NY who tried to ride a TFR across America. He made it to Colorado but then had to get to school.
arthurx
Regional Rider

Postby arthurx » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:35 pm

Found the link with the guy who tried riding the Kinetic TFR across America.

You can read all about his trip in his diary of the experience.
He tells about the modifications made to the moped and the break downs and problems he had along the way.

A really good read. Funny when he talks about the different types of hills he had to ride up.
arthurx
Regional Rider

Postby arthurx » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:38 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post the link:

http://www.moped2.org/txt/trip_moped.htm
arthurx
Regional Rider

Postby Cyberian » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:19 pm

Got mine for $399 shipped to my front door. Well packed, easy to assemble with good instructions. Rode it way over 1000 miles in a few months.

I'm sure there are better Mopeds out there, but for that price, with a one year warranty, I am quite pleased.

Same problem with the seat as Jerry, and same problem with the pedal as Arthur. I don't consider either a big deal.

Like a few others said, the bike is cold blooded and acceleration is quite poor. I considered an after-market 70cc kit and exhaust from Malossi (at 50cc.nl) but really didn't want to put that much into such an inexpensive bike, although the thing really does need quite a bit more low-end grunt.

All in all, I feel I got at least my money's worth.

As for performance parts - all the usual suspects: big bore kit, pipe, carb jet, sprockets, etc.
I understand that any performance for the Bravo Ciao will fit the TFR.
Cyberian

Re: re: Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

Postby Cyberian » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 pm

arthurx wrote:
The only problem I had while riding was one of the pedals fell off.
Someone else had that problem at MA and told me how to fix it. They said buy some bicycle pedals from Walmart and screw them on. I haven't yet done this.

Arthur -
I tried this, and the WalMart pedals (standard 9/16" thread would not fit. I think the pedal shaft may be metric threads.
I'm pretty sure that Cosmo has pedals for about $10 each.
Not really cheap, but trying to get the wrong one on there will surely bugger up the pedal shaft.
Cyberian

Postby arthurx » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:33 am

Cyberian>> you can MAKE them fit. (the pedals that is)
According to "Jerry", from the MA he says:
-----------------------------
"The TFR is an excellent moped.I definitely wouldn't sell it,unless you just
want something else.One of the pedals fell off mine to,in the first couple
of weeks.Not the whole pedal,the part that screws into the crank arm was
still there.I replaced both of them with bicycle pedals from Walmart.The
threads were a little different,so I had to re-tap the threads in the crank
arms.You can use a pedal for this,just get it started,keep WD-40 on it,and
turn it back and forth,turning it a little further each time until it's all
the way in. Then you can replace the pedals whenever you want to."
------------------------------
If anyone is interested I will sell my almost new TFR (53miles-ridden twice) for $650.
I have the turn-lights($95), locking gas cap($10), and large chrome luggage rack($45): Total=$150 extra I put into the moped.
Cosmotor is selling the stock TFR for $799 + $125 shipping & handling.
At that price along with the extras this moped would cost you at least $1075!!!

I will deliver it to you for no extra charge as long as you are within 200 miles.
At this price I'm not making money considering the time and gas it will take me to deliver it to you.

If interested email me and I can have the moped at your house in less than 48 hours.

Thanks,
Art
arthurx
Regional Rider

Re: re: Kinetic TFR Owners: Survey

Postby Smitty » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:51 am

arthurx wrote:Found the link with the guy who tried riding the Kinetic TFR across America.

You can read all about his trip in his diary of the experience.
He tells about the modifications made to the moped and the break downs and problems he had along the way.

A really good read. Funny when he talks about the different types of hills he had to ride up.

WOW!!! Man, my heart goes out to that guy!!! Looks like he made it though. I wish he had finished the diary entries, but over-all, a great story.

Well guys, this thread took-off better than I thought it would, and I very much appreciate everyones' input!
I have a few local friends here as well who own TFR's, so I've also learned what areas to pay particular attention to when a new one arrives.

Thank you also for the advice, and the 50cc.nl link to the parts!!!

Over-all, it sounds like the TFR may not be such a bad Moped, as long as it is assembled and broken-in correctly. Some of the things that I know I will be performing preventative maintenance on are: pedals, clutch and pulley nuts, wheel bolts, frame pivot bolt, etc. will be removed, locktite added, and reinstalled.
I have a used one, that I've not had the chance to mess with yet (and incidentally, it's missing the left pedal, LOL!).
Hopefully in about a week, I'll be able to add my own critique of the TFR USA model, as I should be receiving 5 new ones by next weekend ;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Glasseye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:17 am

When I bought my bike it was missing a pedal. I epoxied in a bike pedal, but it kept falling out due to excess clearance (the pedal was grinding away the epoxy over time). Eventually I ordered a new arm and pedal from cosmo, and they've been fine ever since.
Glasseye
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders