Is Geely, Quingi, Hitong, and Sundiro all the same Scooter??

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Is Geely, Quingi, Hitong, and Sundiro all the same Scooter??

Postby Smitty » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:07 pm

I know it may be a dumb question, but boy they all seem VERY similar to one another!!! The models in question all have a rear wheel-driven oil injection pump, and vertical cylinder. The carbs are Kahien copies, have the same reed valve assembly, and intake port to crankcase. They all also seem to have the same transmission, only differences being the 8" and 10" wheel versions.

I just got Mrs. Smitty another one (maybe she'll triple our money back on this one, hehehehe). This thing reads 4 miles on the odometer (yes it works, I checked) and it was locked-up in the bottom-end, which makes me feel much better about the other one that fried in 30 minutes, as this one that I got today was already locked up before I ever even saw it, LOL!!!

I also have another suspicion as to a possible cause for the bran-new engines locking-up in the bottom-ends. I think the crankshafts are twisting off-center. By this I mean, I don't think that the crank halves are staying straight, therefore, one or both sides of the crank (these are three piece cranks, not ground or cast from one piece) is getting off-center, and then scrubbing the crankcase walls. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? Next week I'm going to try to find the time to actually remove one of these crankshafts, and find out.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

re: Is Geely, Quingi, Hitong, and Sundiro all the same Scoot

Postby Tab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:41 pm

There are several manufactures making copies of the same bike. But...some are really good (TNG, Barron come to mind) and some are really REALLY bad. They should all be cast the same, but some are unbelievably bad. Casings busting apart, cylinders that look like they were ported by a beaver, welds as strong as JB-Weld. But, I have seen them very well made. There was a guy that brought his Baron 150cc scooter on that San Antonio ride. It was a great bike, especially at $1,600! Most parts will interchange throughout the different brands.

Check out the scooterbbs and bigassmotors website. Look at the photo album section. They have the good AND the bad there side by side.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:08 am

Thanks Tab...I had forgotten all about my account over there!!! I love their photo gallery!!!

Pretty informative site they have.

Well, time to go to work, I've got to trade-out a Geely engine today, in the "Bull-Bike"...I traded the engine out a few weeks back, and the owner neglected my warnings on the "break-in', and since he immediately took it out on the street, and ran it WOT, he blew the motor...now I get stuck changing it out!!! At least this engine that is going in it today is already broken-in, so hopefully this will be the last time!!!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:42 am

Oh yea, I forgot to thank Nightflight47 for towing me home on the newly acquired scoot! Hehehehe, she pulled me with her Vento (she has a REAL Scooter, LOL!) the 7 blocks. It got kinda' scary a couple of times, since the front axle isn't tight, so the front wheel wanted to wobble. It sure as heck beat pushing it though, LOL!!!
When we got it home, I learned that this was only a "display" scooter, as it's missing parts, such as the headlight and kill switches, throttle cable, and battery. No big deal, as I can get all of these parts (with the exception of the throttle cable) from the scooter rental shop.
Since I've got to build an engine for the scoot anyway, I figure I'll perform my porting mods, and pep it up a little, hehehe ;^)
...then I'll have "an over-powered piece of junk", HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 pm

uh-oh, now I need me one of those perty little go-ped exhausts that Ike has, hehehe ;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Perry Manessis » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:14 pm

Smitty, most of the Chinese motorcycle companies buy their parts from the same sources. Qingqi is the one of the main manufacturers in China. Most of the others are just assemblers. Other companies such as Jialing and QJ also make their own stuff, but that's basically it.
Perry Manessis

2005 Geely JL50QT-18
Perry Manessis
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:18 pm

That explains why my Jialing has the exact same instrument cluster as the little scooters do. Thanks Perry, now much more of this make so much more sense, LOL!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm

Well, I believe I successfully rebuilt a Geely / Quingi transmission today. I replaced the rear axle bearing, the plastic idler sprocket and bearings, chain, chain guides upper and lower, clutch assembly, and crankshaft nut...after I spent some time filing the burr that someone had hammered in the end of the crank!!! Which I might add, was totally unneccessary, because as soon as you remove the crankshaft nut, the clutch assembly will slide right off.
After filing the crank end back round, I cleaned the threads with a pick and razor knife. Now I have the entire transmission together and tightened. I hope to test it out tomorrow.

I hate working on something that someone else had already boogered!!!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby Smitty » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:52 pm

YES!!! Got-r-done, hehe ;^)

After assembling the tranny, I had to of course clean the fuel system, added premix (to give the injection pump a chance to prime good), and now it starts on the first kick or two...even with the key switch of, sooo, I'll fix that tomorrow.

I also found out why they use such a thick oil in the tranny...to quieten it down! With sae30 motor oil in it, you can hear the tranny noise. I added some Lucas oil stabilizer (it's really thick), and the tranny quieted right down.
This one's gone tomorrow!!!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders