New NJ law affecting Scooters and Nopeds......

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New NJ law affecting Scooters and Nopeds......

Postby mopedlar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 am

According to the NJ MVC website, if you own a scooter or noped that is less than 50cc (49cc and lower), it is now classified as a low speed motorcycle, no longer requiring the operator to have a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. However, if you fall into this category, you can only ride on roads that are less than 35 mph. This is kind of ridiculous considering mopeds are allowed on all public roads with a speed limit of 50mph or less, as long as there is no center median/divider. In short, you're better off riding a moped than a scooter or noped here in the Garden State. Here's the exact excerpt from the NJ MVC website....

Basic auto license holders can operate a low-speed motorcycle without any endorsement or separate motorcycle license. Low-speed motorcycles are less than 50cc or have a 1.5 brake horsepower motor or less with a maximum speed no more than 35 miles per hour on a flat surface. Low-speed motorcycles may not be driven on any state toll road, limited-access highway or any public road with a posted speed limit greater than 35 miles per hour.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: New NJ law affecting Scooters and Nopeds......

Postby mountainmoped » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm

For the most part, the people making the laws and rules don't have a clue. Having common sense isn't a prerequisite for holding elected office in the U.S.

Last summer one of U.S. Representatives from the Atlanta area quizzed the General in charge of Pacific operations about the possibility of Guam sinking into the ocen due to the large number of troops stationed there. It would be funny if we weren't paying his salary.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Don't make no sense.

Is this going to affect your ride any?

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 pm

It'll have no effect on our ride. The overwhelming majority of people show up with conventional mopeds. The law is so new, I doubt the cops are even aware of it.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Might need to jnvestigate into that further Larry, a over zealous constable will see all mopeds as LSM's.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 am

John, I'm not worried about it. Over the last 10 years we've been hosting the ride, I think I've seen a cop car about 3 times. No cop is going to pull over a procession of 100+ mopeds. Like I said, this LSM law is so new, I doubt the police are even aware of it yet.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 am

Ontario has a LSM designation (50cc scooters) but mopeds fall under a different license. All it does is make people take the test and get a M endorsement and limit the type of highways that can be run with a 50cc bike. It has effectively killed the moped in Ontario and propelled the small scooter which is very limited in speed. Thus more 125 cc bikes and up on the road and naturally insurance rates are higher reflecting what is being used. I still have mopeds (vintage) and also build them up but only as a hobby, don't ride them anymore.

Red plate = moped under 50cc (Pedal or Pegs)
Green plate = LSM under 50cc (Scooter)
White plate/blue numbers (MC & Scooter) = 125cc and larger
White plate/green numbers = ATV all

Insurance and registration for all.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders