Problems on Warm Startup

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Problems on Warm Startup

Postby Sgat8516 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Got a well broken in GY6 150cc, and a problem recently started occuring; Moped wont restart after its been warmed up.
2min trip to the store, It'll turnover and start up on the first lick while cold and drive perfect to store; but when I go to restart it to drive home, it won't even try to fire up (engine turns but no fire, kinda like the kill switch is engaged). If I leave it sitting for about 10-15min it'll startup fine again (seems to vary, killed the battery once trying to get it started for an hour, another time hit on 4th attempt)

My first thought was the Ignition coil (which I already ordered, just checking if its another problem I should start checking on) as the spark plug cable is in need of replacing anyways.

Starts up fine when cold, and will restart fine if immediately turn it back off then recrank. I thought it was the 45 degree boot on end of spark plug cable (starting to show wear and heat dmg as well as on cable near plug, but not exposed), so I replaced that ($3 part) while waiting for the coil to arrive, but the problem is still occuring.

Any thoughts?
Sgat8516
Net Rider

re: Problems on Warm Startup

Postby tortoise » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 pm

No mention of spark verification, checking valve lash, or cleaning carb passageways? Troubleshooting basics . . fuel, spark, and compression.
tortoise
Net Rider

Re: re: Problems on Warm Startup

Postby Sgat8516 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

tortoise wrote:No mention of spark verification, checking valve lash, or cleaning carb passageways? Troubleshooting basics . . fuel, spark, and compression.

Checking for spark is problematic, as engine is usually to hot to check for a spark while the problem is occuring (while hot basically). Wouldn't the valves/clogged carb cause continous problems and not intermittent problems? Only occurs immediately after turning off moped while warm; and when let sit for 5-40min it will restart fine.

Got the coil just now (slow delivery...), hopefully that solves the problem; if not guess i'll be back with more testing info.
Sgat8516
Net Rider

Postby Sgat8516 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Coil fixed the problem. Glad it wasn't the CDI or something that would require more extensive diagnostics.
Sgat8516
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:53 pm

many times i have found the coil can get hot and
fail then 15 mins later it starts right up. & faulty spark plugs can
also act the same way...
that is also a sign the exhaust valve, they can get hot and not shrink back
causing the lash to be excessive as tortoise said. i'd check
them on any chinese 150cc because they most all have bad metal
used in them.

oilyhans