Maryland Ruckus owners are going to have fun registering

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Maryland Ruckus owners are going to have fun registering

Postby m6onz5a » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am

I just tried to register 2011 Ruckus at the MVA. It's titled as a motorcycle even though it's under 50cc. MVA said I needed a letter stating it's not a motoryccle since the Ceritificate of origin says it's a motorcycle. I had to go to the Honda dealer and he wrote a letter (i'm assuming to the MVA) for about 10 minutes and afterwards he I should be getting my sticker in the mail.
199? Puch Korado
1978 JCPenny Swinger
1978 Motobecane 50v (yellow)
1978 Motobecane 50v (orange)
1978 Puch Maxi ZA50
m6onz5a
Net Rider

re: Maryland Ruckus owners are going to have fun registering

Postby JD » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 am

My experience is that if you don't like the answer you're getting at one DMV office, then try another. You may get a different response.

These people generally don't deal with enough mopeds and small scooters to understand the requirements. The same can be said for many police officers.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Maryland Ruckus owners are going to have fun registe

Postby m6onz5a » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:54 am

JD wrote:My experience is that if you don't like the answer you're getting at one DMV office, then try another. You may get a different response.

These people generally don't deal with enough mopeds and small scooters to understand the requirements. The same can be said for many police officers.

It's a new law here in Md. starting on Oct. first, so I'm sure they still have bugs in the system.
199? Puch Korado
1978 JCPenny Swinger
1978 Puch Maxi ZA50
m6onz5a
Net Rider

Postby m6onz5a » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:25 pm

JD wrote:My experience is that if you don't like the answer you're getting at one DMV office, then try another. You may get a different response.

Acutally they were sort of correct about my Ruckus being a motorcycle. Back in the 70's when we had mopeds ANY scooter regardless of the cc's was considered a motorcycle and had to be tagged. I think that law slipped threw the cracks and they now consider them in the moped class.

I just received my sticker today so I'm now good to go!
199? Puch Korado
1978 JCPenny Swinger
1978 Puch Maxi ZA50
m6onz5a
Net Rider

Postby Sgat8516 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Well your state is lucky it seems.

They reworded the definition of Moped under South Carolina's law (or at least what qualifies).
Originally it was worded:
'If any of the below are true, its a moped'
50cc and under
35mph top speed
2hp and under

Now the regulation is worded:
'If any of these are not true, its a motorcycle'
50cc and under
30mph top speed
2hp and under

This effectively means anyone driving a 50cc moped without a Motorcycle plate+Reg+Insurance going 31 Mph gets slapped with $1,000 in fines.

I understand why they did that (speed records for a 50cc engine is up around 133mph, although extensively modified... :P), I just don't agree with it.
Have to carry Motorcycle insurance and Licsence for both my 50+150cc mopeds :(
Sgat8516
Net Rider

Postby slipperygrip » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 am

Sgat8516

Its been this way in Wisconsin and Minnesota a while,now and as I see it most states are the same or going in that direction.Moped and small scooters have been lumped in with motorcycles.So now there is no advantage of having a moped or small scooter over a motorcycle.The only advantage is you still don't need a motorcycle license.For me my mopeds are paid off and being though some hardships that is huge.I also generally ride close to home and they serve my purpose well.I do believe these law changes are going to hurt any small cc bikes sales in future...
slipperygrip
Net Rider

Postby JD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

It's not good news to moped riders, but it makes sense if you look at the history of most moped legislation. It used to be that riding any motorized vehicle on the road meant you had to have proper license, registration and insurance (where applicable.) That was that.

In the 1970's they carved out a special niche for small bikes in an effort to encourage fuel savings. The deal was, in essence, if you keep the motorbike small and slow, and ride with the bicycles, then we'll give you a break on the rules. What's happened over time, however, is that many mopeds and small scooters no longer abide by the rules of that deal. They essentially operate at "middle of the lane" speeds.

So if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. If your moped moves like a motorcycle, then it's a motorcycle, and motorcycle rules apply.

I don't like it, but it's hard to argue with the logic.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

Same duck in Ontario, M endorsement, plated and insured. You own your lane.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 pm

JD wrote:many mopeds and small scooters no longer abide by the rules

The "laws don't apply to me" crowd has really spoiled it for everyone . . and that "game the system" mentality has significantly contributed to state legislatures amending their statutes to end the moped "free ride". You can't change human nature I guess, but perhaps the "moped privilege" could have been preserved if more states had just limited moped operation to 35 MPH roads.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

tortoise wrote:can't change human nature I guess

Colorado ruse.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Atis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 am

In NY there are three classes (A,B,C) of Moped depending on max speed from 20-40 with climbing requirements on helmet, insurance, passengers ect. So my Honda Elite 80 is a motorcycle. Here's the good news the Elite 80 being classified as a motorcycle is what I took my road test on for my M endorsement. Sometimes the system can work in your favor.
Atis
Net Rider

Postby Hodaka Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 am

Indiana is looking at a law where mopeds have to have pedals. Alot of scooters will have to be plated or scrapped if that goes through.
Hodaka Bob
County Line Cycles
Grovertown, IN
County Line Cycles
11860 E. 50 North
Grovertown, IN 46531
574-767-0660
www.countylinecyclesin.com
Hodaka Bob
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 am

Hodaka Bob wrote:Indiana is looking at a law where mopeds have to have pedals.

Just curious . . did a moped search on this General Assembly page and, unless I have missed it, neither SB 0154 (withdrawn) or HB 1523 mention moped pedals.
tortoise
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders