Your advice on 93 Yamaha cy50 jog

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Your advice on 93 Yamaha cy50 jog

Postby crankorange80 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi, 3 months ago I was given a 1993 Yamaha CY50 Jog scooter. Its seems nippy for a 50cc scooter. Ive been riding around town without any hick ups. Its not in the best of condition at the moment.

looking at it with my non expert eye I can see there is a number of problems that would prevent it from passing its next vehicle road safety test certificate (mot) for a start. The rear brake won't release once applied and sticks on. To release the rear break from the on position. I have to pull on the lever that the cable is attached to by the back wheel.

When riding there is a quite abit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust more than I would expect to see. I suppose this means the engine is worn as when I turn the mixture scew on the carb it doesn't seem to make much difference to the smoke emissions.

The whole bike shudders like an old boneshaker car as I ride over bumps and metal man hole covers in the road. I suppose this means the shocks are gone?

There is a ton of play in the steering. It can be felt when braking hard. Is it called the streering stem where the handel bars fit into? As you can see. Im not all that familiar with bikes but I can learn and I can see there is a ton of parts for sale on the web for the jog.

Having told you whats wrong with the bike. Should I just ride it a while longer and then scrap it or would it be worth fixing up myself. All of the electrics seem to work just fine. Im just left thinking would it be worth fixing. As I said I could fix it myself with a bit of advice.

what's your opinion, i'd like to know.

Thanks.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Re: Your advice on 93 Yamaha cy50 jog

Postby oilyhans » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:53 pm

crankorange80 wrote:Hi, 3 months ago I was given a 1993 Yamaha CY50 Jog scooter. Its seems nippy for a 50cc scooter. Ive been riding around town without any hick ups. Its not in the best of condition at the moment.

looking at it with my non expert eye I can see there is a number of problems that would prevent it from passing its next vehicle road safety test certificate (mot) for a start. The rear brake won't release once applied and sticks on. To release the rear break from the on position. I have to pull on the lever that the cable is attached to by the back wheel.

try oiling the cable if that doesn't fix it you might need a new one

When riding there is a quite abit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust more than I would expect to see. I suppose this means the engine is worn as when I turn the mixture scew on the carb it doesn't seem to make much difference to the smoke emissions.

don't mess with the screw too much ... the smoke is common on a
2 stroke it might clear up as it gets burned off from storage..
perhaps you need to adjust the oil pump if it is a cable oiler.

The whole bike shudders like an old boneshaker car as I ride over bumps and metal man hole covers in the road. I suppose this means the shocks are gone?

could be but if your over 150 lbs& the shocks are just not that good
in the first place after all its a small motorscooter.

There is a ton of play in the steering. It can be felt when braking hard. Is it called the streering stem where the handel bars fit into? As you can see. Im not all that familiar with bikes but I can learn and I can see there is a ton of parts for sale on the web for the jog.

Having told you whats wrong with the bike. Should I just ride it a while longer and then scrap it or would it be worth fixing up myself. All of the electrics seem to work just fine. Im just left thinking would it be worth fixing. As I said I could fix it myself with a bit of advice.

the steering can be tightened up its just like a bike you just tighten the head nut.

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

re: Your advice on 93 Yamaha cy50 jog

Postby maddog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 am

All 3 problems can be fixed real easy, your brake cam has rust on it so you will have to take off the the wheel also the exhaust, the brake cam needa to be sanded and greased= just like new. Blue smoke can be leaned out your throttle cable spilts between the carb and oil pump, look for a cable under the floorboard and adjust the long nut in to 1/16 in. take it for a ride also use synthetic 2 stroke oil, steering stem nut is lose, take out screws that hold the headset on, sit on the scoot with the front brake on rock it as you turn the nut= thats it your done.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

re: Your advice on 93 Yamaha cy50 jog

Postby oilyhans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:46 pm

if you adjust the cable oiler
look very carefully at the cam the cable is attached to and
loot at the pump body, your looking for the 2 hash marks and
you want to align them by adjusting the cable nut.

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders