Opinions on Kymco Like 200i Scooter...

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Opinions on Kymco Like 200i Scooter...

Postby mopedlar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:41 am

Kim and I went to look at Kymco scooters today and found one she likes. It's a 2012 Kymco "Like 200i". Anyone own one of these, and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Opinions on Kymco Like 200i Scooter...

Postby JD » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:46 am

Here's a review you might want to read.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Kymco Forum . . Like 200i
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I "like" what I've read so far. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it is actually 163cc, not 200cc as I had thought. Looks like a solid scooter that tops out around 60mph, which is perfect for Kim.

Thanks for the links!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Wow, at $2599.00 they are undercutting the competition! Have you looked at the People 200 with the 16 inch wheels. that is where I would be looking. That being said, I have had a Kymco 250 Bet and Win (249cc) since 2005 and only have had to do routine maintenance. Never a mechanical breakdown.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:37 pm

The People 200 is almost $5K. That's a lot for a 200cc scoot.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 am

Kim and I drove over 2 hours to Delaware yesterday to pick up a "like new" Kymco "Like 200" scoot that I found on ebay. The bike only had 300 miles on it and I was told it was in perfect condition. Upon arrival, we noticed scratches all along the left side of the bike and the rear brake handle was bent. We also noticed a PA inspection decal on the front fork. The Seller said he was actually the second owner and he bought the bike from a guy in PA. He then started it up and the bike idled rough.

Long story short.....Kim and I decided to pass on the bike. The $1K we would have saved off the cost of a brand new Kymco Like 200 was not worth all the issues with the bike. What really bothered me the most was that I asked all the right questions and the Seller assured me the bike was in like new condition. I'll never pursue a bike sight unseen ever again. Between gas and tolls (not to mention 4 hours of driving) we were out amost $75. I guess that's a lot better than settling on a bike that we would not have been happy with.

There are a lot of deceitful people out there, so buy with caution.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Have you looked at a Genuine Buddy 170i? It does better than 60 MPH, and it's a very nimble rider. No good for two-up riding, though.

Hell, even the Buddy 125 tops out at between 55 and 60 MPH, if that's enough top speed for Kim.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 am

JD, we're really looking for something with a retro look that does at least 60 mph. The Genuine Buddy 170i fits the bill, but there isn't a dealer close to where we live.

Thanks for the link!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am

Lar I've done the same thing. Drove from Youngstown, Ohio to New jersey only to find an empty house. Seller wasn't home, didn't know if/when he'd be home etc., etc. One of those ebay things where he didn't put a reserve and didn't want to sell the ped for the bid and decided just not to be home.
8 hours plus tolls..it happens.

You've got some magic you'll find a good one for Kim.
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am

Well, Kim and I decided to scrap our plan to buy a new Kymco scooter for her. We just got her 1984 Honda Elite 125 back from the shop and all she needed was a new drive belt. She runs like new again. Cost me a little over $200 and that included a brand new front tire. That's a lot better than $3,300 for a new Kymco. The hardest part was locating a replacement drive belt since Honda no longer carried it. Thank God for ebay. Got my Bando brand drive belt (made in Japan) from Taiwan in about a week.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am

Looks like a great solution to me, Lar.

A good use for that saved money is on a trip to, say, northern Michigan, to RIDE that Elite 125, wouldn't ya say? :)
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

Lar I am wondering if you could not take the Bando part number off the belt and go to Advance or Auto Zone both have cross reference ability in their computers. Chances are they have it or can get it. Advance carries Gates a very good belt. Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm

JD, that's exactly what we're planning on doing with the savings from fixing her bike versus buying a new one. Kim will be sporting her 125 at the ride for sure.

Wardie, now that I have the Bando belt #, I might be able to cross reference it with a Gates Belt, but I doubt it. This belt is used on GY6 150 scooters, and that's about it. Even with the exact size dimensions (799 X 19 X28), I wasn't able to find anything online to cross reference it to. Even my motorcycle mechanic couldn't come up with anything. I've never purchased any parts outside the US before, but I have to say, this Taiwan seller got it to me in a week. I purchased an extra belt as a spare.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:50 pm

if you have the part number email it to me and I'll see what I can find at Advance Auto Parts on their cross reference computer.

Got Slugo's intake back on and been taking him for a couple of 20 or 30 mile rides.

Got a complete kit from Justin at Moto Recycle for the Puch. Kit= Cylinder head, reed induction cylinder, carbon fiber reeds, MLM intake, 24mm Mikuni flat side, Super tuffy crank, Techno Boss pipe and some other magic stuff want it to hit 55 mph and I'll wear good tennis shoes to help stop it :)
wardie
Regional Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders