Little Advice Please

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Little Advice Please

Postby jojo87 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 am

Hey (mostly) Guys....

Im a little new to all this, the Forum and Scooters in General,
im a 25 year old Female,
I work from Home with my own Business so never really had to go many places as my family all Drive anyway, but I thought I'd go ahead and get a Scooter, i've always wanted one but now I really want to go for it...

I've purchased the Jonway Madness 50cc Scooters?
from Motorbike Madness for £595 (£99 Delivery)

I basically want to know the in's and out's on how to get it sorted,
the Bike should be here Friday, and I want to get everything out of the way and paid for so once i've passed the CBT I can get out on it!

* I sent off for my Provisional Licence, waiting for Forms to come back to send my Photo off.
* I've bought the necessary things like a Helmet, Lock, Gloves, Cover, a nice shiny Tax Holder :-)

What I want to know is.. who is the best for Insurance?
I was forwarded to Rampdale by the Dealer, and they quoted me £249 for Third Party Only Insurance, im only using the Bike to get to little places like family members Houses, Shops, post small deliveries from my Business, go to McDonalds for Milkshakes :-) and so on... is £249 a reasonable price?

Also Registering and Taxing, I cant do either of them until I have Insurance right? or is that just the Tax?

I think that's pretty much it, the Scooter has an Alarm on it anyway but obv i've got the Chain/Lock aswell, been abit wary of the Third Party Only Insurance as I live in abit of a rough area and dont want to go to the Shop and have it outside and a Chav walk past and knock it over or scrape it or something like that, because obv i'd have to pay for damages to it as Third Party Only only pays for damage done to other Vehicles right?

But yes I think thats it, basically just want to know how to go about the Insurance, Registering and Tax... if anyone can give me some info and advice and even suggest a better priced Insurance Company then that would be great, like I said.. this is my first time ever Legal on the Road in anything so just want to make sure everything is correct and so on.

jojo87
Net Rider

re: Little Advice Please

Postby JD » Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of forum participants from the UK here, so you may not get good answers to your questions. You might want to search for something more local.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby jojo87 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 am

Ok thanks for the reply,
should be getting my Bike tomorrow,
just looking for other add-ons I can get,
was really looking for a Red Exhaust for it but having no luck.
jojo87
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu May 31, 2012 1:55 pm

There is various colours of exhaust paint (1500*F) you can get a Halfords or similar store in the UK to coat the existing pipe. Will need to be scuffed up first then applied, and then run it through a heat cycle or two while enjoying the ride. Re-coat. It probably will always burn off up near where it attaches to cylinder head.
Enjoy your new bike and ride like you are invisible.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby oilyhans » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:12 am

BBQ paint is also high temp paint.
good to about 1200F ...

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 am

Not red though! lol
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders