licence for gas assited bicycle?

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

licence for gas assited bicycle?

Postby bran1har » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

If I were to install one of those $180 Chinese 2 stroke gas assist engine kits on my bicycle, would I need to carry a driver's license with me, or would it still be considered a bicycle and I wouldn't need it? I live in Connecticut. I read somewhere that it may be considered a moped, in which case i would need a license. However I would think that I wouldn't need one, i thought they were still considered bicycles? Can someone clarify this, i'm not so sure. I just don't want to get caught riding without a license if i do in fact need to have it on me.
bran1har
Net Rider

re: licence for gas assited bicycle?

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:13 am

Check with the DMV in your state. Most places consider them not legal for the road. Nice ornament.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 am

It would have taken you less time to check the CT DMV website than write your question here.

Mopeds - A "bicycle with helper motor" (also known as a moped or noped) includes all vehicles propelled by the person riding the same by foot, or by hand power, or a helper motor having a capacity of less than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement and not rated more than two brake horsepower and capable of a maximum speed of no more than thirty miles per hour and equipped with automatic transmission. The bicycle with helper motor is prohibited from operation on sidewalks under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286.

Motor Scooters - Many motor scooters are motorcycles and would require a registration and motorcycle operator’s license to operate on the road. Some motor scooters fall under the definition of a "bicycle with helper motor’ (moped) as found in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286. A "bicycle with a helper motor" would not be required to be registered, however, it would require that the operator have a valid driver’s license to operate on the road. The legal age to obtain a driver’s license in Connecticut is 16 years of age. (Emphasis added.)

Ergo, it's a moped (unless the engine is larger than 50cc, in which case you have additional issues with it). You need a license in Connecticut.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Looks like there is somewhat conflicting information on the CT DMV website . . .

"On October 1, 2008, there were changes in the law that may affect whether you must register your scooter, moped or other motorbike as a motorcycle.

Motor Driven Cycles: If you have a motor scooter, moped or motorbike having a motor that produces 5 brake horsepower or less (or 3.7 kW or less) and a seat height of at least 26 inches, you may operate it on the roadway without registering it. However, you must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license to operate it, and you may not operate it on any sidewalk, limited access highway or turnpike. If the maximum speed of your cycle is less than the speed limit of the road that you are on, you must operate in the right hand lane available for traffic or upon a usable shoulder on the right side of the road unless you are making a left turn. As of October 1, 2008, these vehicles are referred to as “motor driven cycles.”

Perhaps one of the reasons why Aprilia SR50 horsepower is omitted from most specifications.[shadow=#444444][/shadow]
tortoise
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders