New member seeks advice.

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New member seeks advice.

Postby MikeM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:11 pm

I am a new member and am seeking advice.

One thing I do know.
I want a two wheeled, gas powered vehicle that does not use pedals as a means of propulsion.
≤50cc? I don't know.
>50cc? I don't know.
There is a lot, I do not know

I need eyeball to eyeball contact with someone who is willing to talk out issues regarding me needs and what scooter would apply.
To be more specific, I want someone to offer advice when going through the process of deciding between 50cc and >50cc, insurance, dealers, repairs, laws, security, locking it up, etc.

And someone who is willing to chime in and tell me, Mike:

1. Take a look at this. Looks good? Bad idea, because…
2. And this? A good idea, because…
3. This dealer has … (you can fill it in!)
4. This brand is made in …, and … (fill it in again!)
5. Insurance? Here is what I …
6. Safety? Here Mike, look at this …
7. This group of riders and enthusiasts …

Eyeball to eyeball would be a great help.

Any McDonald's where I can sip on my Diet Coke and I'll buy you coffee to start out.
PM me if you want to discuss this further.

I did have a Honda 750—Turquoise—way back. Had it for three years and moved on. So I know some of the issues regarding car, van, trucks, and how two wheelers are treated.

Please PM me,
MikeM
BETHESDA, MARYLAND
MikeM
MikeM
Net Rider

re: New member seeks advice.

Postby wardie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:21 pm

google Ikes Bikes in georgetown, Ohio and give Ike a call he'll give you sound recommendations.

He sells Tomos Mopeds and Scooters.

He service most others.

Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby MikeM » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:09 am

Wardie wrote,
"google Ikes Bikes in georgetown, Ohio…"

Thanks, Wardie.
I live in Bethesda, Maryland, and georgetown Ohio is just a tad too far.
There is a Georgetown in Washington DC. Did you mean that Georgetown? That is within practical distance.
What I need is face to face help, not advice or consultation over the internet of the phone lines. I am looking for something closer.
One of the reasons I want a scooter is the price of gas. I don't think the trip to Ohio would be practical, no matter how good the staff at Ikes Bikes is.
I appreciate your help, and commend your loyalty to Ikes Bikes.
Thanks,
MikeM
Bethesda, Maryland
MikeM
MikeM
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Google "Yamaha C3 Forums", you will probably find lots of pertinent information there for your questions. And may find a dealer near you (Yamaha) and someone also who has a mobile cooler chest.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Mike what ever you do (unlkess you're a pretty good mechanic) stay with the top brands on scooters..Honda and Yamaha or Vespa and Kymco.

Out of all of them I'd try Kymco if there's a dealer close by. You'll get more for your money in displacement....

Good Taiwainese quality, dependable and the 125 Agility is pretty peppy.
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby John » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm

So true on a Kymco. I have had 2 so far. Regular in house checkups and fluid changes is all they have had in the last 5 years. A dealer hasn't seen them since they left their place of business. Solid, priced right rides.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby MikeM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 am

Wardie, and John.
I appreciate that!
One can get taken sucked in, by some of the prices: a 50cc scooter for $500.00 shipped to me! And all I have to do is assemble it with incomplete parts, parts that don't align, fastenings with pot metal threads, etc.

Contrast that with a 50cc Yamaha C3 Scooter; list price about $2200.00.

Four times the price. But the cheaper one will give one more then four times the hassles!

Since I posted several days ago, I have been reading some of the comments on this forum. And there is a "sticky" post, with a warning.
So, I thank both of you for the prompting to stick with a "brand name".
I will do!
Best regards,
MikeM
MikeM
MikeM
Net Rider

Postby MikeM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:12 am

The Yamaha C3 interests me because of its built-in storage space. Plus, a flat metal luggage rack can be installed on the back. And on the metal luggage rack a hard-case luggage shell can be attached.
Now, I have not seen a 50cc scooter that comes close to offering the storage that the C3 does.

MikeM
MikeM
MikeM
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:47 am

Whether you get a 50cc scooter or >50cc scooter depends on where you plan to ride it. I own 6 Honda scooters ranging from 50cc to 250cc. If I am going to ride on backroads with little vehicular traffic, I like riding my 50cc Honda Metropolitan. If I have to ride on a road with a speed limit of 45mph or greater, I would take my 125 or 250cc Honda Elite.

If I had to own only 1 scooter, I'd probably buy one with at least 150cc. This way you can keep up with traffic on most non-highway roads and climb hills with no problem.

I'm a Honda guy, so I'm partial to Honda scoots. I am a huge fan of older Honda Elite scooters, although Honda does make new Honda Elite 110 and 150cc scoots, which I hear only good things about. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for when it comes to scoots.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 am

Just a small factoid... Kymco used to make a lot of Honda's scooter motors, for all I know they still do!
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

Another good Taiwanese brand is TGB, now being sold under the Peirspeed name. http://www.peirspeed.com/ We've had two for five years and they've been rock-solid for more than 6000 miles each. They tend to cost less than Kymco BUT they've had problems with continuity in distribution and dealerships. If they have a strong dealer in your area, consider a Peirspeed/TGB. If the dealer is shaky or non-existent, then skip it.

BTW, TGB makes CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) for Piaggio, Rotax, Peugeot, Minarelli, Morini, Polaris, and SYM.

Sym http://www.sym-usa.com/ also makes good scoots, but dealership continuity has been a problem for them as well, so I'd probably steer clear until they resolve their business problems.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby MikeM » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 am

Mopedler, John, and JD.
Thanks for your very fine posts.

One in particular! I had not thought about the issue of having a dealer who would have the brand two or three years after I had bought the scooter. Very important! I had missed that one! I don't want to have to take my Scooter 200 miles to get a part or for service, two years after I had bought it.

I was in a Barnes & Noble Thursday and bought an issue of Scoot! magazine. Issue number 60; February 2011.
In that issue the editor said that it would be the last printed issue of the magazine. They were to go digital for all new issues.
QUESTION:
Is there any other magazine for scooters? The staff at B&N did not know.
I was on Amazon and was surprised that there is no recent book specializing on Scooters, or Mopeds.
So, what gives with the publishing world. I had though, that with the price of gas, more there would be more sales and interest in Scooters and Mopeds. More magazines, more books, etc. But NO! So, what give, here?
MikeM
MikeM
MikeM
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:57 am

Motorcycles seem to fill the magazine nitch. Scoots and mopeds fall well down the list in sales so that dictates it seems.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:52 am

Scoot magazine is the only scooter magazine out there that I'm aware of.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 am

Paper magazines will always exist at some level, but the Web is becoming the favored means of mass communication is so many areas. My PCWorld magazine is getting thinner and thinner each month, but their website continues to gain content.

There are lots of scooter reviews and information on the Web. It's a little harder to sort through it all but, on the other hand, you can count on finding more information that isn't influenced by ad revenue. That isn't necessarily the case in magazines.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders