'64 Vespa 50 Smallframe V5A1

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

'64 Vespa 50 Smallframe V5A1

Postby supercub » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:53 pm

I picked this up a couple of years back, but never got around to fixing it. I did ride it a few miles but the crank bearings were so bad that it was hard to keep going. It was marketed for Italy, as it has the smaller 9" wheels and no brake light or speedo.
I pulled the engine out today, and except for the crank bearings, everything else is mint. I checked the compression, 150 PSI. It is next to impossible to get a compression tool inside of the small cavity of the engine compartment.
I really like the smallframe Vespas because the body is more streamlined and the engines are located more in the center of the bike than the larger ones. They range from the 50 to the primevera 125.This one has the tractor style seat but they also made a cafe style seat that was on the 50 sport, that one had a rectangular headlight and electric start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supercub
Regional Rider

re: '64 Vespa 50 Smallframe V5A1

Postby oilyhans » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:33 am

looks like its in nice shape on the outside too..

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah, it is in pretty good shape. It's basically like a 1 cylinder bug. Actually, looking over my paperwork I saw that it is a 1963. I found one exhaust manifold stud that has a worn area on the threads. I don't know if it is threaded into the casting or cast in place.
I also have to deal with the gas tank, it is rusty inside. I may just farm out that job, I don't feel like dealing a smelly re-line job when it is beach and ped riding season.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby supercub » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:04 pm

So I am still working on the Vespa after all this time. I put new bearings and seals in it and did a leak down test with the old cylinder and head just to check my work so far. I brought a new top end kit because the old piston was scraped up and I could not find a new one and then I broke a ring trying to get it off to clean the grooves.
I still need to clean up the kit parts and assemble the top end and leak test the final setup. The steering bearings were pretty loose so I broke down the front end and I will replace the bearings and resolder a shift cable knarp. The tank is all cleaned out.
Hope to wrap it up soon as it is getting too cold to be holding steel wrenches in an unheated work space for too long.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 pm

supercub,

I have a 64 Allstate 125, I think? It is scattered all over my shop now. It ran when I got it, but I just had to take it apart for a complete restoration. Never finished it. But, I may get back on it now that I have the Whizzer, LUV truck and the Windmill finished, lol.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby supercub » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Hey Ike,

That's cool. I had fun working on the inner engine. They are pretty easy to work on and the castings are a work of art. Check out scooterhelp.com. They do great step by step repairs with pics. The only thing that I can not find anywhere are torque specs. I am just using standard specs for bolt sizes.
Yours is probably a large frame, but I think the primevera 125 was a smallframe, but they came out later.

John
supercub
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders