Moped cutting out

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Moped cutting out

Postby dpayne » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:31 am

Hi

Hope someone can help, I have a 50cc PGO roadster, for the last couple of weeks the electric start will not work in the mornings but it will start by kick starting it, now i get about a mile down the road when I come to stop at traffic lights the engine cuts out, this has happened twice now. I try to start it and it wont start - not even the kick start will work. If I leave it for a few minutes eventually the electric start will work. (even though doesnt work in the mornings) my moped also seems a bit slow pullign away than is used to be

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thank you
D
dpayne
Net Rider

re: Moped cutting out

Postby John » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

I am moving this to the scooter section. anyway how is the battery. If it is starting to fail or has failed it can do some weird things to the starting and light circuits. Have it checked under load.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:39 pm

A motorcycle shop may test teh battery for free of a small charge, basically the tester puts a load on the battery and measures how many amp/hours it can produce. The capacity may be good for a few seconds but then fall rapidly.
Is it a two-stroke engine? the dying problem sounds like a clogged muffler or carbon build-up.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby dpayne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 am

yes it is a 2 stroke engine, someone mentioned could be the tappets? not sure what that is, will take to a garage i think, thanks for your help
dpayne
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 am

No tappets or lifters in a 2 T motor. You have been given a couple of good suggestions to follow, also put a new plug in the wee beasty just for giggles. who knows. Simple things first!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby dpayne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 am

thanks, do you know if these things ie muffer will be expensive to fix?
dpayne
Net Rider

Postby JD » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:21 am

Since you don't yet know what the problem is, it is impossible to estimate how expensive it will be to repair.

Spark plugs are cheap. New batteries aren't that expensive, and they're periodic maintenance items, anyway, not repairs. You may be able to clean a clogged exhaust by yourself.

You might also have a problem with the choke. Try one thing at a time.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby supercub » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 am

I have had only bad luck taking something to a repair shop for troubleshooting. Not to put down any mechanics or shops, but the protocol is usually to aim at the most obvious problem and remove and replace the part, and then call you to say that it is fixed. A mile down the road you relaize youv'e spend a big chunk of cash for nothing, with no recourse.
Check one thing at a time and read up on repairing, you will soon be the best mechanic that you could ever hire. If you need a tool, buy it. You will have it forever. Ask here, even if it seems like a silly question, no prob.
As far as the muffler, cleaning it is really a simple maintenance item, using draino to loosen the crud and rinsing with water, easily done and at a low cost.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby ODINXXIX » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 pm

im not sure where you are located,but remember its getting cold and if you have an electic choke it may be staying open longer hen when its warm. if it dies on you again try holding the throttle wide open and kicking it over. my honda 2 stroke has the same deal but it doesnt die out, but if i shut it off and come back a little later it wont start unless wide open. all the previous suggestions are great check those first. clogged muffler,drano does work but you have to let it soak in the stuff over nite then rinse with water and if you have a propane torch fire in the hole if you catch me. plus you want to try and heat the whole thing to dry it out good.
good luck and happy scooting
1986 honda spree(bbk)
1982 suzuki FA50
ODINXXIX
Net Rider

Postby dpayne » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:40 am

thanks, i got it to garage yesterday as have no idea how to fix stuff, they said was the carburetor which had gunk and stuff in it. Now my moped will start straight away using the electric start, however this morning when i was nearly at work (about 2 miles) and came to stop at traffic lights it cut out again, luckily this time it started straight away using the electric start. It seems if i keep the engine reved it does not die, but I cant do this and use the brakes at the same time! The garage are not sure what else it could be? maybe they are not god mechanics.
I will suggest the muffer to them
dpayne
Net Rider

Postby dpayne » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:20 am

just thought id update you, took it back to garage yesterday and apprently when they cleaned out the caruretor they turned the ticker down too much, now they have turnes it back up and my moped is working yey!
dpayne
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:13 am

Ticker, meaning the idle adjustment screw on the carburetor, I suppose. That is an easy adjustment that you can do, if you look on the side of the carburetor you will see a small screw with a spring behind it, the spring helps to keep the screw from working loose.
The screw works as a stop on the throttle slider, you turn it in and it pushes the slider up, sort of a cam action. Pushing it up opens the throttle, higher idle speed.
After the engine is warm, turn it in for a higher rev, little at a time, until the rev is steady but the clutch does not engage, causing the bike to move. If it is too high, the clutch will be engaged or semi engaged, that can wear it out from constant rubbing at stops.
Check out fred's guide in the repair section here, there are some easy to learn basics there, better to do it yourself and save your money.
supercub
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders