Problems with my GY6 gearbox?

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Problems with my GY6 gearbox?

Postby MugenEF2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Just to let you guys know, I am not really informed on the correct term for some of these parts so you'll have to work with me. So basically I've been trying to figure this out for about a month. So long story short, one of the bearings in my rear gearbox pretty much exploded....So I replaced it, replaced all the seals and gaskets, but I am having problems putting my CVT belt back on. I followed the directions I found and took the front drive pulley off, put the belt around the rear clutch assy. in between the two plates (the spring loaded one and the stationary one) and put the front of the belt around the shaft the front pulley was on, put the front pulley back on and tightened it with an impact wrench. When I did that, the belt tightened and pulled the two plates on the rear clutch assy. apart, and the spring doesn't want to compress them back together. I'm guessing that is the reason that when I start my moped it shakes pretty badly and bogs out. Is there some kind of locking mechanism on the spring loaded plate in the rear clutch assembly of some kind? How to I fix this? I would prefer to not keep hauling my moped back and fourth from the garage I work at to use the impact wrench if at all possible. BTW this is a GY6 150CC clone.
MugenEF2
Net Rider

Re: Problems with my GY6 gearbox?

Postby RebelMob » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:52 pm

When you put the belt on and the engine is not running
the engine end pulley halfs should be wide apart with the belt sitting at the bottom of the V
and the wheel end pulley halfs V should be together and the belt sitting at the top of the V
Sounds like you have the front halfs all the way together.
Processed on shared equipment that may have come in contact with nuts.
RebelMob
Net Rider

re: Problems with my GY6 gearbox?

Postby John » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Google changing a CVT belt and the first hit will be a You-tube video of the way to do it on a GY6 motor.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby MugenEF2 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:28 pm

I saw that you tube video dozens of times and it just doesn't work with mine. You CANNOT get the belt on without taking the front pulley off. I tried putting the belt at the bottom of the V on the front pulley, but the front pulley will not go back on with it all the way down. I used an impact wrench to force it on and it just pushed the belt to the top of the V and pulled the rear two clutch plates apart. It's not like the belt is too small or anything, it's the same one that came off the moped!
MugenEF2
Net Rider

Postby MugenEF2 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:54 pm

I just watched that video again and noticed something. His front pulley's are spaced about an inch apart. Mine have no gap at the bottom. The splines on mine only extend about a quarter inch out, so if I left a gap there the outer most pulley would not slide on the splines. I'm assuming that it needs to be on the splines. also there would not be enough thread sticking out to get the bolt back on. WTF?
MugenEF2
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 pm

the rear pulley is the driven pulley (front is the drive pulley/variator)
grab both sides of the movable one ( farthest from the scooter)
fingers inside and palms on the clutch
squeeze as hard as you can, the pulley should open
smoothly and close smoothly .

if it doesn't remove it from the scooter
look at it closely and see if theres any worn or
damaged parts
look extra close at the pin that the opening side slides on and
the curved slot also check both sides.

if you can open the driven pulley slide the belt as far down as
you can then install the variator

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 am

There is a boss or spacer that fits over the shaft then the belt is put over that.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders