Test driving

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Test driving

Postby dklein90 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Im in the market for a couple scooters and dont know much about them. Is there anything I need to be looking for, ie. signs of major issues to come,

For example

I test drove one SYM dd50 today that had a bad batery that "needs to be replaced" which turns on the oil light (according to the owner). it has only 900 kilomoters and he wants $1200 dolls for it.

Could that be a sign of bad things to come,,,, I just dont know.

I have also tried a couple high mileage rentals that I am leary of due to the high mileage.

What should I be looking fo during the test drive? And what are signs of bigger problems.
dklein90
Net Rider

re: Test driving

Postby John » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:24 am

A bad battery will do all kinds of strange things to the dash. Horn will sound like a dieing cat, signals will malfunction, tach will usually redline. Only way to start is with the kickstart and it will be a little lumpy. It may have other issues but I would insist the owner put a new battery in it before you put your money down. they are cheap for that size of scooter! Then check it all over. Abuse if any should be obvious, and see how it rides and preforms. Only you or your mechanic can make the final decision. SYM is a decent Taiwanese product. Good luck!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby dklein90 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Im meeting the owner today at a mechanic shop, he is goig to put a battery into it to show me that it will be the fix to the problem. If it fixes everything I think Im going to buy. Then I'll be in the market for a helmet and a good chain.
dklein90
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:21 pm

If it squeals or chatters on mediocre acceration you have a CVT or clutch issue.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:31 pm

SYM makes a good scooter.

The oil light on my TGB also comes on if the battery is dead. The guy is probably being straight with you on that issue.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby dklein90 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I ended up buying that moped, the battery fixed all of the problems and so far Im very happy with it.
dklein90
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders