Noobie needs help with SYM dd50

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Noobie needs help with SYM dd50

Postby dklein90 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 pm

My girl friend and I just moved to Honolulu for 6 months and have decided that mopeds would fit our needs well. We rented some SYM dd50 yesterday and liked how they drive.

I found some SYM dd50 former rentals for sale with between 5000 and 7000 (miles or kilometers) on the odometer. They are in overall good conition and seem to drive well in the fe mile that we drove them. The seller wants $1150 each for them if we buy both or $1200 for one.

Is this a fair price or should I keep looking for something cheaper?

Will I be able to get most of my money back when I turn around to sell them in six months?

any help will be appreciated.
dklein90
Net Rider

re: Noobie needs help with SYM dd50

Postby oilyhans » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:38 pm

you need to go to kelly blue book-motorcycles -retail
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail
1.find the year they were made
2. find the model
the price will be reveled

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby dklein90 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Ok so I took a ook at the Kelly Blue Book!

I dont know what year the sooters are but I looked at 2007 and the price is $1170 retail. A 2008 lists at $1200 retail. SYM was not listed before 2007 so I cant get a price for the older ones.

The price seems like it may be in the right ball park but Im not sure about the high mileage.

Is 5 to 7 thousand real high?

What should I be looking for when I test drive, are there common signs of trouble I need to be aware of?
dklein90
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am

That isn't too far from the price of a new scooter. I have seen some at the local shop here starting at 1000.00 for a Tomos moped and 1200 and up for a scooter.
Rental bikes usually only get new riders that may be rough on the bikes. The rental companies keep them until teltale signs of problems arise. Northern Industrial sells an inexpensive moped less than 800.00 from India and many times they ship for free depending if they are running a special on them. Something like that you can sell easier than a bike with high miles.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:19 pm

See Frank at quik fix cycles for a deal on sym, or go to mopeds plus for a chinese scoot for $1,000 with 1 yr. warrenty, mine runs just fine?
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:24 pm

I checked the Northern site for kicks and I see they are out of the mopeds. They may come back again. They are made by kinetic.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby dklein90 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 pm

I ended up buying one that I had found on craigs list Its a 2008 SYM dd50 with 980 kilomoters on it, I paid $1200 for it and it included a chain and lock. Its in great shape and Im happy with the purchus.

I am still in the market for one for my girlfriend, Ive become suspicious of the rentals becaue they have so any miles. 5 to 7 thousand seems like it may be at the end of their lifespan. It would be nice to get omething for it in six months hen we go to sell them.
dklein90
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders