Want to pick up the speed...

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Want to pick up the speed...

Postby RidingNut45 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Hey everyone. Okay, so here’s my story. My parents bought me a scooter as a graduation present so I would have something to take to college with me this fall. I’ve been playing around with it all summer and absolutely love it. But considering that it is now my only set of wheels (freshman can’t have cars) I’ve been thinking that I’d really like it to be a bit faster. There are several other people here with scooters and some have suggested buying a new exhaust system. I might as well admit right now I’m not mechanically inclined at all and I have no idea where to even start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a scooter faster?
RidingNut45
Net Rider

re: Want to pick up the speed...

Postby supercub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:24 pm

What make and model is your scoot? How fast is it going as it is? Many scoots and mopeds have restriction devices to comply with speed limits for use without registration requirement. Many people have eradicated these things and results are posted here and on other sites. They are typically altered to top out at 30. With some handiwork the bike will go faster, as the maker intended for a different state or country. Most of these are basic things like exhaust restrictors, main jet sizes in the carb, spacers in the variable transmission to stop it from going all of the way up gear, etc. They can be done using simple tools and most are probably posted on youtube.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby Live66Fast » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

There are a couple different things you could do to make the scooter faster but my first recommendation would be the exhaust system. A lot of aftermarkets will increase your pick-up and speed. That’s what I did with my scooter. Just out of curiosity, what kind of scooter do you have?
Live66Fast
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm

What Supercub said then think about a performance pipe if you need a little more.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby RidingNut45 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:48 pm

It’s a Motofino. MF-50-QT-7.
RidingNut45
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Taking a quick look down the internet pipe I see that the bike is a 4 stroke, chain drive rated at 3.6 hp and listed top speed at 35mph. So from that I would say the gearing is a single speed without vairiable transmission, just a centrifugal clutch. So there arent any buggers in there to slow you down.
An easy way to tell the extent of mods that you have available is to pull the exhaust and look for a welded washer in the header end. That can be removed carefully if there happens to be one in there, for a couple of extra mph and no up front cost.
Looks like a low cost bike very basic I am sure you can get it to last just don't ride it to keg parties or leave it unlocked or let your roomate ride it until graduation and then youre going to want to put some money down on a fancy ride.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby JordK » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:45 am

Hi RidingNut, I’m in the same position you are, I have a Motofino and want it to be faster.
JordK
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 am

chain drive scooters are hard to mod for more speed
they are fixed gearing, eg:unlike a cvt transmission that has many variations. the chain is on 2 gears with no way to really change the ratio.

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby Live66Fast » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:40 pm

I have a Vespa scooter myself and don’t really know too much about the Motofinos. A friend of mine works at a local dealer shop though and I know they carry Motofinos. I will ask him if he has any suggestions.
Live66Fast
Net Rider

Postby RidingNut45 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks, that would be great!
RidingNut45
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:01 pm

supercub
Regional Rider

Postby JordK » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Yeah, that would be awesome. Thanks.
JordK
Net Rider

Postby RidingNut45 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 pm

JordK, how long have you had your scooter? Do you like it? What model do you have?
RidingNut45
Net Rider

Postby JordK » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:10 pm

I’ve had mine for about a year now and use it pretty much as a daily commuter. Mine is a 150cc. It’s been great so far. I see you got yours a few months ago. How do you like it so far?
JordK
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders